Post mortem on my 2015 project

Back in 2015 while trying to learn Sketchup, I drew up some cabinets for my workshop. I got far enough to be able to cut up sheet goods to form the carcasses.

My recent experience with this forum has shown me that the resources here can look at models and analyze them for workflows and techniques and make some great recommendations.

When I look at this project now (4 years later) it is apparent to me that I was trying to make everything a component. But I don’t think I made the best use of them. There are only 3 basic cabinets, the lower cabinet, the upper cabinet, and the upper narrow cabinet.

I can’t remember but I think I drew each cabinet individually by copying components instead of copying the whole cabinet.

And when I look at the left most lower cabinet, I haven’t even used components everywhere possible. I’m also pretty sure that I didn’t flip components so if I had to cut dados in them the orientation wouldn’t be what I wanted.

I also dabbled in scenes and layers but not to their best advantage I’m sure.

So, I’m interested in any analysis you care to provide to help me and any other beginner.

basement cabinets 2015 - .625 melamine.skp (92.3 KB)

A quick look shows me that you did a fairly decent job with the model. The key problem is that the left hand base cabinet has been exploded to loose geometry and the geometry is scattered across layers. Not sure why you might have exploded it but when you do explode components or groups to the base level geometry, it’s a good idea to immediately put the geometry on Layer 0. It’ll be selected after the explode operation so that’s a good time to do that.

Personally I would have flipped left and right or top and bottom component counterparts. Although it may not have turned into an issue, flipping them right way after copying to make mirrored copies can save you work later on down the road.

Dimensions of all the components seem reasonable and you have given most of them useful names to make them easy to identify.

All in all, I’d say you did a good job. Especially since you were just learning.

As Dave says, it’s a good job. Still a lot to do, though. If I were modeling these cabinets, I’d model the drawers completely and add drawer slides (if that’s what you have in mind) from the 3D Warehouse. I’d also add holes for adjustable shelf pins (again, if that’s what you have in mind) as well as rabbets and dadoes to connect sides and back. You also need a base for the base cabinets; right now, they’re floating 4 inches above the floor.
But again, you did a good job and created a good, sensible first step.

Fine job while learning to use SU!
Did you actually build them?
The only issue I see is the zero clearance drawers and doors. And as you said, always flip your left and right components, But as soon as you put your first rabbit in, you’d have known!

Of course that could be splitting hares. :smiley: Sorry. I’ll get my hat.

1 Like

Whatever lol. Isn’t it I before E? Except in rabbet?

1 Like

Thanks for the flattering comments.

I can’t remember why the lower left cabinet was exploded so I may have selected the “explode” command expecting to see all of the individual parts in the same way as I showed all of the parts of the upper cabinet.

The number of named components on such a small projects is surprising. I can see how a large project might get overwhelming lists of components.

I hadn’t really decided how to use the interior of the cabinets so I hadn’t got around to deciding on adjustable shelving, fixed shelving, simple drawers, drawer slides, etc.

The cabinets haven’t been built yet but the need for them is still there. And c_j_ryan, you’re right, I just drew a recessed hole in one of the gables and it’s immediately obvious that the gables weren’t flipped.

So this may be an old project, but it still has life.

2 Likes

FWIW, I have keyboard shortcuts set up for flipping components along the three axes. I make it a habit of always flipping counterparts even if there’s no apparent change at the time. So for example, I would draw the left case side make it a component, copy it to the right side and immediately hit my shortcut for Flip Along>Component’s Red. It might not matter right away but sometime in the future it most likely will but the model will already set up correctly so nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Don’t be a tease, what did you set the short cut buttons to? And how did you do it? :wink:

Wouldn’t you like to know, big boy? :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry.

Like any of the other Context menu items, you have to have entities selected that would cause the Flip Along commands to appear in order to set keyboard shortcuts for them. So to set keyboard shortcuts for flipping a component, you need to have a component selected.

To flip loose geometry or selections of more than one component, select loose geometry or several components.

I have F2 set for Flip Along>Component’s Red, F3 for Component’s Green, and F4 for Components Blue. Then Shift+F2, Shift+F3, and Shift+F4 for the second set. Since I don’t use groups in my modeling, I’ve never bothered to set up keyboard shortcuts for flipping groups but that would be another three you could set up if you want.

1 Like

I didn’t think it would be inappropriate to ask from someone who always wants to see everyone’s skp. files. :wink:

1 Like

You can tell a lot by looking at SKP files from others. :wink:

1 Like

That’s thinking like a chess player: thinking out possible future moves while making the current one.

1 Like