Polycam to SketchUp

Hi, I’m new to sketchup and Polycam, currently im a construction site manager looking to edit drawings etc, I’ve paid for Polycam and sketchup pro but struggling to import files into sketchup as they’re not loading in, im exporting them from Polycam using the suggested files to export them, but not working when I try import them into sketchup just nothing is loading up can anyone help me with this??? I’m using my iPad Pro,
Thanks in advance
Matt

What file type does polycam creates? If it’s a point cloud you need either to get a studio version to be able to open on the Mac or windows desktop version of sketchup or use another software like meshlab to generate a mesh and export it to a file that sketchup can import.

<<click here >>Off topic/ FYI:

Off topic/ FYI:
https://forums.sketchup.com/t/tutorial-how-to-write-sketchup-correctly-sketchup-or-sketchup/248877?u=dezmo

I always use GLTF to export from Polycam (from an iPad pro as well).
Next, import the GLTF into Blender, maybe delete some unwanted stuff and export as DAE
Finally, import the DAE file into SketchUp.

I thought you could export as a DAE directly from Polycam?

probably you can but I always go though Blender for some cleanup action. I dont use the Polycam Pro version and if I’m not mistaken, only the gltf is in the free version

Polycam does also natively export as DAE so you can go straight into SKP with that route. Polycam also exports as OBJ which I tested in blender.

Hi mate thanks for you’re reply, yeah I have used this option but when I try load it up into sketchup nothing actually loads it just has the man in the screen nothing appears :sob:

I’ll have a look into this method now thanks so much for you’re advice it means a lot :+1:t2:

Hey @Mattyk95 , got your note, here is my best answer, good luck.

The central challenge here I believe is your use of SketchUp on your iPad. The iPad import and export formats are limited, currently .stl is the only 3D format I am aware of that can be imported on the ipad version. To further complicate things when exporting scans from Polycam, the app packages the chosen file type as 3D data along with a raw texture file and some texture mapping files all inside a .zip. It’s not a bad practice as it keeps things compressed and tidy but it requires one more step to get to teh importable file.

SO… There is a pathway to get your raw geometry only scan from Polycam into SketchUp completely siloed on the ipad. Export from Polycam as .stl, in the pop up dialogue about where to save it choose Save to Files at teh bottom, this will save a .zip folder to your files (you can choose where in the next window, either On My iPad or Downloads, dosen’t really matter as long as you can find it). Next close Polycam and open the Files app on your iPad, find the .zip wherever you saved it and press the icon once, this will unpack the .zip and create a .stl file next to the .zip. Now open the SketchUp for ipad app and use the import button, choose files at the bottom and find the .stl file, in the dialogue: merge coplanar faces YES, Preserve Drawing Origin YES and Swap YZ YES (Polycam exports like that I don’t know why) and set the import units to meters then hit import. Phew! You have your geometry, except unfortunately .stl is a triangulated, unit-less and textureless file format, so while you can get a tessellated representation of your scan from Polycam into SketchUp for iPad this way, it’s a big compromise, it will not have any of the texture data, no pictures of the walls which is really half the fun. So…

The proper way to get your scan into SketchPp is to process it though the desktop version of SketchUp Pro. Export from Polycam as a COLLADA file which is .dae. This format contains both the geometry and texture data all mapped correctly. You can email the file or airdrop it to your Mac right out of Polycam. It will be a .zip so you will need to find the zip on your Mac (or PC) and double click it once to unpack it, the Finder will make a fresh folder next to the .zip with the same name, containing the .dae file and a texture file .jpg. Open a fresh file in SketchUp pro and File>Import the .dae file, it will arrive correctly scaled and in glorious color. It will show all the tessellated edges in black which does not look as good as it could. You have a few options, the easiest is to change the rendering style to one that does not show edges, problem solved, however if you intend to work with the file you may want to see edges of some geometry at some point, another option is to open the scan component for editing, select all and adjust the Soften/Smooth settings (coplanar and up the angle between normals) until the surfaces are all smoothed and the edges are gone.

Once you have a working SketchUp file you can easily share it back to your iPad through airdrop or email or Trimble Connect and open the file in SketchUp for iPad. In SketchUp for iPad you can use, alter, and navigate the scan as normal. Long winded, but I hope that gets you closer.

Note: SketchUp Go the paid version of the web application also imports .dae, so you could complete this process with that as well.

1 Like

Is it possible you are not waiting long enough? Ive had imports take minutes. If it doesn’t say crashed in the task manager, it’s quite possible it’s just far slower then you want it to be…

Also, I just noted you are using the Ipad pro. It cannot handle large models so that may be a factor as well. it simply is not reliable for use after a certain point. I’ve talked about it in threads on here prior and there is no clear definition of that threshold or how to avoid it from the SKP devs. It should work in the pc version.

I was a site manager before becoming a builder and I know how taxing the job is. It seems as though all of the work arounds are harder than importing a dwg contour map and creating terrain? Is it because the site is constantly changing and you need updates quickly or is it the cost of the surveyor you’re trying to reduce?
I was also wondering why you don’t use a Windows-based tablet and install SU pro? I found its more reliable and can handle larger models.