Outline/wireframe/transparent objects

If you’re designing an object with things inside it, say, a room with furniture, how do you make one or more of the walls see-through, so you can see what’s going on inside?

Could be just an outline, displaying the object in wireframe, or making it semi-transparent.

I can’t find a transparent material or entity option to do it.

Hiding the object entirely isn’t what I need.

Styles have what I need - but they seem to apply to the entire scene? (and undo doesn’t work, which tells me this is actually a rendering option in the app and not considered part of your scene.)

For now, I simply omit or hide the back wall - which unfortunately meant that I forgot it when creating my materials list. So I want it partially visible but not gone. Can I do that?

transp

:bulb: You can also use section planes

I don’t have the default materials - I think those were purged when I saved the project.

There is a glass material in the materials library - unfortunately, that is much more opaque than the default material you showed here.

Kind of frustrating that the default materials aren’t available in the standard library. :confused:

mattr

Small problem, if the OP is using the free web version as listed in his profile, he has no access to material editing.

1 Like

I’ve reported this as a technical problem.

I don’t think it is a technical problem, I think it’s just that you aren’t quite understanding the Material interface.
There are no Default Materials as such, there are In Model Materials which you see if you click the little house icon. If there is nothing in your model and you have purged components and materials, in that order, there will be nothing in the In model tab.
The other section has all the materials available that are supplied by default.
If you add something from the warehouse or elsewhere that has a different material it will only appear in the In Model tab.

1 Like

Download and drag following untitled.png into your modeling space. Use it either as image or explode the image and paint its texture on faces as material and they will be 100% transparent.
Be careful with what you paint. You might forget!
Untitled

(even here the paint seems to be missing but it is there)

You may want to rename the little png file to something that suits you.

(If only we had such a paint in real life)

p.s. with face style set to ‘Monochrome’ you’ll still be able to see all faces in default face style: white and grey for front and back!

1 Like

Ah, I see what’s going on now… the character standing in the default scene - those are the materials on him. Once you delete him, those materials get purged. I thought those were just some default materials.

Anyhow, I just learned how to use scenes, so now I’m using that instead - so I can have a full view, and a view from the back, where the back wall is hidden. Works for me. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Haven’t you used the magical 100% transparent paint yet that can be “seen” in my previous post?
Drag it into your modeling space to then apply as image or after exploding it to apply as texture on faces.

example

2 Likes

Hello
Curious to understand how to do this, I tried this:
On SketchUp for the web I created a 10 inch by 10 inch cube.
Cleared the front side.
Created a 10 inch by 10 inch transparent image with Photoshop and named it 10x10.png
Imported this image into SketchUp for the web and it is usable
like an invisible surface that (in my opinion) can be modified like any other material.
2022-11-19_08-19-06-186

1 (ver 2019).skp (376.2 KB)

An example using the “magical 100% transparent pain” supplied by @Wo3Dan. I’ve applied it to the exterior faces of the box with other colors on the inside.
trans

2 Likes