Out of the Box

A couple of before and after SUbD renders.
Same scene, same render settings.
No fancy colours or textures.
Just a geometry comparison to help people understand how SUbD deforms the shapes.

16 Likes

A little Sunday afternoon Pie play.
I don’t use the Pie tool often but it’s very handy here.
PieArray

18 Likes

An extrapolation of the above technique with a twist and a christmassy feel…

13 Likes

I love those techniques!

boxball

7 Likes

I made them into Christmas ornaments. It took me a second to learn how to twist the curves with FredoScale, but I feel like I learned something from this. Thank you for all the tips and tricks!

8 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Using Clothworks to create distorted grid images

Here’s an odd one, and I’ve thrown in several quick renders to help show the structure.
The geometry is one continuous solid with no intersections, it is a sausage.
Who can tell me how to make it.

7 Likes

Any extensions used? (Yes/No)

Just one. And that’s sort of the point, the simple plugin makes simple geometry into something quite complex.

1 Like

I would have a guess at that you draw a square spiral shape on a single upright face. Then used a bending extension such as Fredo Bend or Trubend to bend it top/bottom then bent the sides around to form the donut.
I haven’t tried it though.

3 Likes

Hmmm, oh well, wasn’t as clever as I thought it was.
Figured I could go to bed and see what ideas people had when I had time tomorrow.
I’ll just go to bed then, I may not bother getting up tomorrow.

1 Like

I think it’s very clever. I’ve been looking at it for around 15 minutes trying to figure out how you did it, and decided it must not have started in a donut form because of the positions of the corners. If my guess were anywhere near right I’d be surprised.

I’m not sure how to take your comment, but if I caused any offence I apologise.

1 Like

No no, no offense, you basically got it in one, Truebend is the plugin and it started as a square spiral.
I was hoping for a few guesses before being so easily exposed.

5 Likes

Here’s a simplified version of making the above with truebend. For the more complex one I did modify the ends before both bends to make the spiral continuous and solid. Easy to do but a bit too much to fit into the gif. It just requires making the ends half thickness and removing the face before the first bend, and trimming off the ring etc for the second bend. It’s not very smooth because I’m fighting a dodgy mouse.
Truebend

18 Likes

That is something that you absolutely must have 3D printed to turn in your hand and think about the topology.

1 Like

It would be nice @Anssi, but not from my printer. It would end up a strangled mess of support and shape.
I’ll think about it, would be nice done in metal.

1 Like

I may have got it wrong. I’m on a different computer so I don’t have access to the original model. Which I’m sure was a single sausage spiral. It is late at night for me and I’m going to bed, but I replicated a version of what I think I did and I’m too tired to work out if I got it wrong then or now.
This version has one ring that isn’t connected to the rest of the sausage. I’ve uploaded it to the warehouse if anyone wants to explore it and point out where I got it wrong this time, or if I got it wrong the other time. Or both times.
Either way you can wander through it here.

2 Likes

That’s really cool :grinning:

There is one issue … it looks like there’s a “floating” ring:

1 Like

Oh dear Jim, we wont mention the one from the other day…

2 Likes

I can see this starting some sort of modeling cult…

If the last one were done the same as the gif, maybe it’s something with the right hand vertical face of the ”squiral”. The gifs a bit fast to tell but it appears that part ends up in the middle, but I’m not too sure.