Out of Memory Dialog Box

Out of Memory dialog box randomly appears even if I simply try to move objects, what are possible things wrong?

Question there . . Did you max out the Ram in the computer ? . . I know it is expensive but that is what the computer uses . . I loaded the Lunar Lander file which the big wheels said I can’t do in Virtual Box and ran it rotated and moved went inside and back out in windows 7-1 . . I am running Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit have a I3 quad core 2.4 gigaherts CPU and have 16 gig DDR3 computer used 256 megs for video ( Virtual Box gets to use 1.5 gig of the ram and only 120 megs of video and 2 of the 4 CPU’s of the 4 the other 136 megs of video is being used by Ubuntu and Linux ) Inside of Virtual Box is where win 7-1 is at and running Sketchup Make 2015 . . I am one of the POOR living on Social Security . . I got the laptop way back for christmas present to me !

How big is the model? How much memory is SketchUp using? Are there other applications running that are competing for memory?

Have you tried purging unused under window>Model Info>Statistics?

How much memory does your computer have? 32- or 64-bit operating system? 32- or 64-bit SketchUp?

Anssi

I have 16 gig of DDR3 laptop ram (of which the laptop uses 256 megs for video and I am running 32 bit win 7-1 and windows only gets to use 120 megs of that the rest is used by Linux 136 megs

Says sketchup make 2015 version have not yet upgraded to the 2016 version yet

OOPs forgot I am running Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit and use Virtual Box latest version and added the guest additions plus the Extention files for Virtual Box . . Which mean I am still running Linux with the browser open and so on ( the Firefox is behind the Windows with Sketchup running )

Hey Dave, thank you for the reply, my model is 146 MB and Sketchup uses 843,264K according to my task manager. The only other application that I use with Sketchup is Podium rendering. Yes, I have tried to purge, but it doesn’t little.

Hmmm…

Your profile indicates you are using 32-bit SketchUp. Can you upgrade to 64-bit?

Hi, Anssi, my computer has 4.00 GB (2.99 GB usuable), and both the Operating System and Sketchup are a 32-bit.

That answers my question. It’s possible that you computer is out of memory. Do you get the same message without Podium running?

I sure do, It will run out of memory if I move something too far sometimes haha

Perhaps you’re exceeding the capabilities of your machine. Do you have access to another computer you could try the model on?

I do, it has more memory. So in order for Sketchup to work on my laptop which is where it is right now, I will probably have to by more RAM memory?

Possibly. Or you may have to utilize some strategies to keep file size down more.

Going to try strategizing because the model is done just need to render it. I read your question above, can I run 64-bit Sketchup on my 32-bit computer?

No. You need 64-bit OS to run 64-bit applications.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you found a way to knock a bunch off the file size.

I figured that. Thanks again Dave, I wasn’t quite sure what was going on with Sketchup, but now I know what I need to do.

Good luck.

One thing I try to instill in my students is to practice clean and efficient modeling. doing that helps to keep file size down and improve performance. It also makes it easier to make changes to the model later on.

So I just need to stick to Groups and Components mainly?

Well, that’s a good idea for a number of reasons. There are other things you can do, too, such as not using huge image files for textures, reducing the number of segments used to create curves, eliminate unneeded faces and edges. maybe use textures instead of geometry (brick walls for example can be created using textures instead of drawing in all the mortar lines. There are other things that can help, as well, but those will get you a long way down the road.