Others like Nick Sonder?

Hi All, when I try to show people the workflow of sketchup to layout, I find that Nick Sonder is the only one out there who has any content that shows this properly. Are there any other Nick Sonder’s out there? If so, would love some shared links!

2 Likes

https://condoctools.com

2 Likes

I only know Nick Sonder, I don’t think so
that someone showed something better.

He inspired us to draw a lot more in 3D.
In architecture and interior design.

1 Like

Michael Brightman?

1 Like

Michael Brightman does ConDoc Tools that Mike mentions.

You don’t have to use ConDoc Tools - Michael Brightman’s book The SketchUp Workflow for Architecture explains his workflow very well and I have been able to incorporate much of his ideas into my workflow ( as well as Nick’s workflow )

3 Likes

I don’t think you will find Nick Sonder clones. What you will find are people who have incorporated a lot of his ideas and methods into their own workflows.

3 Likes

Aww shucks!

3 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of different people recently use Layout quite effectively to produce construction documents. I know there are also a lot of complaints about the speed and stability of Layout from some quarters but with a little patience I think you can create some very nice looking construction documents with Layout.

Sadly there is no realtime API for Layout yet, so automation is not really possible at this time but even so there is quite a bit you can do with Layout.

I often get questions from users of my plugins on how best to create their construction documents after creating their model(s) with my plugins. I don’t have any one specific way or advice to give them since the methods used to create construction documents in Layout is as varied as the number of users. I think Sonder and Brightman certainly show how to do this successfully as well as quite a few others.

A lot of that work you don’t often see publicly displayed on the boards. I think a lot of designers and architects tend to keep their work mostly hidden from public view because it doesn’t really provide much benefit to put it out there for others to potentially pick apart.

4 Likes

Beg SketchUp for an API.

Practice using Layout with one of your plugins.
Challenge: recreate one of your plans using SketchUp and Layout.

1 Like

Old post back from the dead, popped up when scrolling this morning.

I have a dated video somewhere on YouTube about my old workflow. Also from my BaseCamp presentation (2016 I think?)

I also teach (now one on one or small groups via Zoom) both SU and LO, I used to do 2-3 week long in person small group sessions per year before leaving the US.

Sadly I have not published a book… but I’d don’t know how some of these people do it.

The secret I want to know more than the workflow is how do they have time to document their workflow, publish a book, get the paying work done and balance life / family / etc….

I’d pay good money for that secret sauce.

1 Like

The last Sonder book was a collaboration with Matt Donley…

1 Like

Co-llab-or-a-tion: Tuesday’s power word. Find professionals who can do what you can’t or don’t do and empower them with a reward to accomplish what you need done.

Am only now learning how saucy this secret is.

I do that with the engineers I work with. I get drawings reviewed and they get paid. :wink:

I need to maybe hire a housecleaner and a personal activities coordinator to keep my home / work / life calendar balanced.