Orientation switches between portrait and landscape without reason

Hi,

I’m having a problem with sketchup viewer on android. Sometimes it randomly switches to portrait mode and then gets back to landscape. I tried everything - turning off device auto-rotate, physically placing device in specific orientations (standing up, not flat on the table) - nothing helps. The problem is there on Samsung galaxy tab S2 (SM-T819) tablet, but I recently bought Samsung Galaxy S7 phone and it’s even worse - it happens every 5-6 seconds (not like the tablet - longer periods at random times). It’s impossible to work with it.

Both devices have Android 7.0 with latest updates.

I have a similar problem with a different Android App: Accuweather.

I’ve tried to ask Accuweather to fix it, but have yet to receive a reply, much less an acknowledgement that the problem exists!

Logically, locking the orientation of you device in Android settings should take care of the problem as (I assume) all apps should use the current Android setting, but obviously some don’t! The question is: Why?

I see two possibilities:

1. Android makes available the actual orientation - regardless of the “lock orientation” system setting separately from the “lock orientation” setting. In this case, I think the onus would be on the app programmers to use the complete set of information available.
  2. Android only makes one setting available to apps - “effective orientation” - and has bugs in how it determines the reported results. In this case, the fault falls on the Android programmers.

As I’m not an Android programmer, I don’t know which of these is the case. And it’s not enough of an annoyance to me to take the time to learn enough of the Android API discover the answer on my own.

I’m not sure if this is an android problem or app problem. I fixed it by setting up Display Orientator Pro (an app) to enforce landscape orientation.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.