Order layers numerically or alphabetically in Sketchup Free

Is it not possible to order your layers in the web-based Sketchup Free? I even downloaded my drawing from SU Free, then opened in the desktop version where it organized my layers automatically. I saved that and then re-opened that new file in SU Free and the layers are still disorganized (in the order that I created them). Any thoughts or work arounds?

If it’s too complicated to have different options for how to sort I think it should be set to alphanumerical permanently. I can’t see much reason to order layers as they are created.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply eneroth3. But what I am saying is that the web based SU Free does not seem to allow you to order the layers alphanumerically. I would love it if it did, but it orders them based on when you created them. I cannot seem to find a way to order them alphanumerically in SU Free. Do you know how to do that?

I believe @eneroth3 comment is directed upwards, at the gods of sketchup, suggesting that the layer order in Free could, at the least, be locked to alphanumerical order. I cannot find a method of re-ordering layers in Free at this time

1 Like

Exactly!

comment is directed upwards, at the gods of sketchup, suggesting that the layer order in Free could, at the least, be locked to alphanumerical order

I second (or third) the suggestion. PLEASE add this functionality to Free.

SU Free apparently has much of the same functionality as mySketchUp.com. As a user of SU Pro, I don’t regularly get involved with either of these versions, but I recall that during the beta test of mySketchUp.com, layers were ordered based on the sequence of their creation. This seems to be the case even now.

If these products remain in a beta version (and I cannot confirm if this is the case), users must accept the conditions as they exist.

I am grateful that SketchUp Free exists, beta or not. I am only humbly trying to suggest a useful capability for a future update, that at least 2 or 3 other users (and probably a lot more) would also like to see implemented.

Just a WAG on my part because I haven’t used the free version.
Could you create a new file…with new layers in that file with names & order you desire (same layer names as geometry to be pasted in later
)…save that file…and copy & paste your model into this new file. (Assuming this is possible w/free version)

Charlie

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.