Can Layers Panel sort layers alphabetically?

I just started using Layers Panel. I like it a lot but the layers are in some odd order. I can’t seem to see a way to sort alphabetically (and there are too many to move around one at a time). Anybody know about this?

Huck

Try using the ‘sort order’ arrow to the right of the layer’s ‘Name heading’.

That should at least get SU to sort A–Z, and Z–A, depending upon arrow direction.

I don’t see that arrow. maybe I wasn’t clear. I’m using the “Layers Panel” extension, not the standard “Layers” window in SketchUp.

You should use the Layers window to put them in order and then they will appear in order in the Layers Panel.

1 Like

I’ve fallen in love with the Layers Panel extension. I don’t know (only because I haven’t looked) if it can sort layers alphabetically, but is that really what you want?

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the organization of layers that makes the most sense is in groups (and sub-groups), which the extension excels at. Even if it doesn’t offer alphabetic sorting, you can move layers around if you really need them presented that way.

I like the idea of it a lot too. But yes, sorting alphabetically is important for me. One of the reasons I want Layers Panel is because I have a very large number of layers and want to organize them into groups. And the reason I want to do that is that I have many many layers. Too many to look through at random (including when I’m making groups). And sorting by hand is also a problem because of the number of layers.

Sounds to me as if the Layers Panel extension would be nearly ideal for you - save for the effort involved initially to go from a simple list of layers to your preferred groupings.

I’m even more sure that it will work for you for new models, where you set up the grouping as you create the layers.

Moved the topic to the “Extensions” category

Just click the “Name” tab.