Oklahoma House Build!

A little less than a year ago, me and my two brothers started this house for a friend in Michigan which we finished sometime near the end of last year.

It was a slab with radiant heating, about 3000ft², and had a 12’ vaulted ceiling in the great room.

Now we’re back at it again with a house in Oklahoma.

We’ve compacted the dirt, dug the footings, and now we’re laying down bar!!

I’ll be giving more updates and information as we go along.

But for now, I have lots of tying to do…

18 Likes

Truly modeling in 3D! Great job!

4 Likes

Really excited to follow this build from start to finish. The comparison between the as-built and the models is stunning.

3 Likes

Hope the rebar driven in the ground is not a permanent part of the grade beam reinforcement ? Oh and by the way real “rod busters” don’t use bag ties ! :grin: Fun aside, nice job :+1:

1 Like

Yea, they have a roll of wire, or one of these:

105889_400x400

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Is this an Oklahoma house in Michigan or…?

1 Like

No, it’s an Oklahoma house in Oklahoma.

1 Like

Well, this took us around 20 hours of work, but we’ve got all the bar down!! It’s been pretty hot here, anywhere from the high 80s with a breeze (that was actually super nice!) to a stagnant 105… all three of us were drenched today.

We’re ready to pour some footings!

9 Likes

Busting rod be hard work. Be glad your not hustling the big stuff :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Glad I am! The big stuff can get pretty heavy.
(Chart of bar weight by linear foot)

Screenshot_20220616-225329
One 20’ stick of #18 would be close to 300lbs!!

Amen to that ! Been on the end of the big stuff when I was young and energetic. Even the #5’s will work you out when your toting as many as you can get your mitts around. There’s a certain “art” to hustling that stuff so you don’t kill your self or somebody else.

1 Like

We got the footings poured today! 54yds with 3 to spare.
AND we got some unexpected help from 3 other brothers, so there were 6 of us.

Rocky soil with giant boulders made the footing much wider in some areas but it all worked out!

Starting the rough plumbing in a while, right after we get all this dirt out… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Kudos, but in our parts the occupational health/safety inspectors would be swarming on you like wasps…

2 Likes

Thanks Anssi, I went back and fixed some things…

(I am not trying to mock @Anssi, anyone else, or safety itself, the compositing idea just came into my head, and I thought it would be funny. Peace be with you :heart:.)

6 Likes

I was half joking. Earlier in my 40+ years of going to building sites it was quite common that I would arrive in my office clothes, and the contractor had something to ask about roofing, and there we went, climbing on some makeshift ladder nailed together from some rotten planks, with no protective clothing and nothing to prevent us from falling, then walking on the wet standing seam roof to reach the actual spot. Still shuddering. And only luck kept me from stepping on nails with my thin soled shoes.

2 Likes

The little orange mushroom caps were what came to my mind. The most impressive I’ve seen were the timber framers from Benson Woodworking that thought nothing of the hardhats, harnesses and fall protection gear they put on like everyday clothes.

As a lifelong photographer, I almost always have a camera on me, and usually serious one at that. One time climbing an iron pipe “mason scaffolding” to get to the roof, my foot slipped, I dropped a rung, and realized I came too close to hanging myself with the camera around my neck. Ever since, when on a job site, I hang the camera neckstrap on a shoulder, not my neck.

1 Like

I wish I could “heart” this more than once! Sounds like you need some fashion and protection…
Maybe some of these:

Glad you made it out of there, navigating the site can be risky business…

For all wondering what this topic has to do with SketchUp, the whole house was modeled in SketchUp, and I will be making comparison images as we go along to show the congruency (or lack thereof) between the model and the real deal.

No side-by-side pictures have been taken of the concrete due to the rebar plans changing as we went and of course, the footings not looking quite as planned due to the rocky soil, but just for fun…:

footing 2

block

Not much to see here.

11 Likes

Nice effect!

1 Like

So, it’s been a while, we’ve been quite busy but we have also been able to get a lot more help than I had initially expected, praise the Lord!

The heat index has been steadily in or just shy of the triple digits so it’s been pretty rough
(I’ve lost about 5 lbs since we started), but we have managed to:

• Chalk out the slab forms

• Dig the column footings, main trunk line for the plumbing, and uncover the sleeves we installed during the pour (with some “minor” setbacks (big ol’ rocks))

photo_2022-07-03_17-08-42

• Frame the forms

• Start off the rough-in for the plumbing. No water lines yet, we start those Monday!

The house slab and garage wall pour will be in around two weeks, and by then we need to:

1. Form the master shower (its a roll-in with a rain head)
  2. Finish the plumbing
  3. Dig and Run the underground electric
  4. Bring in the dirt, spread it out, and compact it all
  5. Install radon vent
  6. Install the vapor barrier
  7. Lay and tie all the rebar for the columns, slab, and the interior footing

Moving right along!

Sorry, not very many Sketchup comparisons this time either, as it wasn’t necessary to model the plumbing, and the concrete forms really just aren’t that interesting in my opinion.

block

11 Likes

Good progress :+1:

2 Likes