Offset click-release-click does not work

Might try reinstalling Sketchup.

I haven’t heard of anyone else with this problem but it could be an issue with the OS. SketchUp 2017 Make doesn’t support the newer operating systems that were released after it was.

Okay, will try to reinstall sketchup and make sure the Mac is up to date on software, is it possible for me to get a newer version of sketchup?

Yes. The current version is Sketchup 2020. The last free desktop version for hobbyist use was 2017 Make. After that the free version is Sketchup Free for Web.

Okay will try and do that and see if it solves itself, thank you.

Does sketchup free for web mean that you access it from a browser rather than an application actually downloaded onto the Mac?

Yes. SketchUp Free runs in your web browser.

Nah I can’t use that, I’ll have to stick to 2017, wifi is very temperamental, will try uninstalling and reinstalling

Good luck.

I’m curious about offsetting. Why wouldn’t you want to enter an offset distance anyway? Do you really just want some random offset distance?

That is less of the issue, its more the fact that I have to have a face preselected before I can use the tool, and then to use it on more than one face I have to deselect and select for every use. PLUS I can’t double click another face to repeat the previous offset

Well, that’s not normal behavior for SketchUp in any version so I’d have to guess it’s been broken in the current OS version. It wouldn’t be the first time that the Mac OS broke applications. SU2019 got an update in October or November of last year due to an update from Apple breaking things. And other applications had similar problems.

Have you checked the back of the wall?

Uninstalled and reinstalled it and updated the mac… still not fixed
No idea whats caused it, hopefully it’ll sort itself out
But yeah you’re right, wish i’d just stuck with windows to be honest, have to reteach myself loads of software cause I switched, just a massive pain in the bum

Yes, it’s not any issue to do with the object, it doesn’t work on any face

Maybe you could return the Mac and get a PC?

You can be pretty sure SU2017 won’t be getting anymore updates. I still have Sketchup 3.1 running on my Win 10 machine. It runs just fine even though Windows 10 wasn’t released until years after SU3.1 was history.

Ah, well I have noticed that SketchUp seems to be sensitive when selecting wall that are thin. Sometimes you end up with the one on the back (not the backface).
It has to do with the mouse pointer, screen resolution, distance of camera, etc. etc. (I always say etc. when I cannot think of more options)

Feel like it’s a bit too late, at least now I can use both windows and mac.
Might try and see if I can get in touch with the developers see if they know what the problem is.
Thankyou for the help though

I wish I had a suggestion for your, I can only commiserate though. I work primarily on a Wacom tablet, and offset works terribly using a tablet, to the point that I have a mouse right next to my Wacom, and will swap over to the mouse, just when I need to offset.

It’s weird, I’ve tried various settings to fix it, can’t identify if something in SU changes or something on the Wacom side… I don’t know, just letting you know, I don’t know why it’s not working on your mouse, I’ve never seen that happen, but for me, I do get poor behavior on my Wacom.

That’s all, sorry.

1 Like

Ah I see, I wish that was the issue, would be an easy fix aha

I don’t know what to tell you…it works fine on my Mac when I run either 2017 Make or 2020.2 Pro.

offset

3 Likes