Not responding - Pro 2016 Mac

I have recently bought a new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, .2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB).

I installed Sketch Up Pro 2016, and it worked fine until my models got a little larger. Now the program freezes up every few clicks, showing the spinning wheel of death and it stops responding. I can’t do anything including exporting a 2D graphic or saving.

I have checked my task manager, and it says sketchup is using 2.4GB of data and not responding. I have closed every other app that is running. I have restarted the program and the computer. Nothing is helping it.

Could it be the file that I am working on, as it doesn’t respond on my Macbook either.

Please can someone help my situation.

You write “until my models got a little larger”. How large have they gotten? A model with millions of edges and faces or hundreds of materials can potentially overwhelm almost any computer. Have you tried purging the model to get rid of things that aren’t being used (window->model info->statistics->purge unused)?

What extensions do you have installed? It is quite possible for an extension to lock up SketchUp for a prolonged amount of time, especially renderers. Some extensions monitor the model (use “observers”) so they can kick in even when you didn’t explicitly select them. You could try disabling extensions and see whether that improves performance. If so, selectively re-enable them until you find the guilty party.

And, as a remote chance, have you disabled hardware acceleration? That isn’t usually necessary on a Mac.