Newly installed font not recognized in 3D Text

I loaded a new TT font properly onto my system (PC, windows 7, SU 16). The new font shows up and is available to use for dimensioning and call outs, but is not available in 3D text (which is where I really want it). Does anyone know why this is happening and/or how I can use this new font in 3D text?

What’s the font? Is it freely available?

Helvetica Neue LT std 75 Bold, it seems to be very common and readily available

is it definitely a TrueType Font [.ttf]?

I believe that’s the only prerequisite on a PC to be usable as 3dText…

john

No, actually it is a open type - .otf

that’ll be the issue then, you could get a mac, it will handle both types…

2 Likes

Ha,Ha. Thank you - I didn’t realize it needed to be .ttf - I really appreciate the quick response.

FYI, there are lots of otf-to-ttf converters on the web.

-Gully

Thank you all once again. I used a font converter and everything is good to go!

I have Helvetica True Type Fonts (purchased)… I tried the converter with many of the Helvetica font family, installed Helvetica Bold as a True Type Font… closed and opened SketchUp… Tried Editable Text… still no Helvetica Fonts show up. Any thoughts?
drew

I followed the tips I read here but nothing seems to work. The font is installed on Windows but nothing works on Sketchup though.
I have a font called “Congenia” originally it is .otf . The font came from a marketing agency, not sure if they created from scratch or what. I want to use 3D font for modeling an interior design project. Any help?

The situation is still the same as it was when I started using SketchUp in 2003. The 3D Text tool only supports TrueType fonts (.ttf). You would have to find a converter that would convert your OpenType font to TrueType.

I mentioned that the original font was .otl, but I tried converting to .ttf as it was said, but it didn’t work (it works on Windows, though, but not for the 3D font)

There are ttf versions of CongeniaL fonts available for download, however they all seem to require a modest payment of a few $$ to get them…

Do you have both a .otf and a .ttf version of the same font installed?
Did you close SketchUp while installing fonts? Applications don’t update their font lists when they are open.
Did you restart your computer after making font changes? It shouldn’t be required, but…

No, yes, yes.
How do you usually convert .otf to .ttf? Just to confirm if I follow the right process?

There is a link to an online converter in one of the posts above. Otherwise you would have to get a font editing software. Only changing the name doesn’t work.

I will try to find the link! thank you!