Newbie: Render Issues (SketchUp + VRay) Please Help :(

Hello,

I am very new to SketchUp and VRay.

I am trying to create a single 360 degree Panorama that i can load into 3DVista as a Virtual Tour.

I found a free model on TurboSquid (3D Models | Over a Million Models for Download | TurboSquid)

I’ve made a few adjustments to the room like book covers etc.

When i export/render the panorama i get quite a few errors…

1. Light is leaking through the door
  2. My poster is not appearing in the picture frame
  3. My background image is not appearing.
  4. My Computer screen is transparent
  5. There is a TON of noise
  6. My black plastic elements (Phone, computer chassis, Screen Chair etc) is all pink?

Is there anyone that can assist me with some render settings or tips?

Here is my render:

I would love to be able to create a single 360 degree panorama at 3000x6000 pixels at a similar render quality to the version uploaded as a preview to TurboSquid (Image Attached)

Thank you very much

Oliver K.

Which version of V-Ray are you using? And the real answer to your questions, though it isn’t much help to you at the moment, is that you need to learn a bit more about how V-Ray works in order to preemptively avoid most of these issues. V-Ray is powerful and complex and it requires some patience and effort to get perfect results.

I’ll try to answer some of them but in the meantime, if you can share your model, you should pack and upload it to a file sharing site (dropbox, google drive, etc) and post link here so we can take a closer look at your settings.

Light is leaking through the door - There is likely a light inside your walls. See if you can find
My poster is not appearing in the picture frame - possibly a reversed face that it was applied to (set model to ‘Monochrome mode’ to check.
My background image is not appearing - as in HDRI or image placed outside of the window? It’s possible the sun exposure settings are just blowing the image out since it has a hard time balancing brightness for inside and outside at the same time.
My Computer screen is transparent - Looks reflective to me. It seems to be reflecting the computer chair back.
There is a TON of noise - Turn on the ‘Denoiser’ setting.
My black plastic elements (Phone, computer chassis, Screen Chair etc) is all pink? - Sounds like a bad material reference. Try using a new/different black plastic material from the V-Ray default library and replace the previous material reference.

Hi Eric-S

Thank you for much for the awesome response, you tackled each of my problems and I’ve spent the last two days sorting through everything here with my updates:

You can find the packed project here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LzlK4nEebfzKAny1svX_AOFS6PAAdiMz
I think a lot of the issues resulted in incorrect or unavailable textures
(Quick reminder this isn’t my project file, it’s one i found for free online at TurboSquid so i am working from that and that is probably why there are so many mismatched textures - is there a way to quickly change textures or do you have to do it one by one by finding and clicking through them?

Blockquote
Light is leaking through the door - There is likely a light inside your walls. See if you can find
My poster is not appearing in the picture frame - possibly a reversed face that it was applied to (set model to ‘Monochrome mode’ to check.
My background image is not appearing - as in HDRI or image placed outside of the window? It’s possible the sun exposure settings are just blowing the image out since it has a hard time balancing brightness for inside and outside at the same time.
My Computer screen is transparent - Looks reflective to me. It seems to be reflecting the computer chair back.
There is a TON of noise - Turn on the ‘Denoiser’ setting.
My black plastic elements (Phone, computer chassis, Screen Chair etc) is all pink? - Sounds like a bad material reference. Try using a new/different black plastic material from the V-Ray default library and replace the previous material reference.
Blockquote

1. Light is leaking through the door
    To solve this i increased the size of the door i think there was a gap that was leaking light through. The light source was coming from outside.
    SOLVED
  2. My poster is not appearing in the picture frame
    I removed it and added it again and now it’s appearing
    SOLVED
  3. My Computer screen is transparent
    Solved this one too
    SOLVED
  4. There is a TON of noise
    I was using the incorrect render mode “Interactive” and my ‘denoiser’ wasn’t available i have since switched to Progressive and now i have more options to play with so noise has been removed
  5. My black plastic elements (Phone, computer chassis, Screen Chair etc) is all pink?
    You were spot on here… I changed the plastic to another V-Ray library plastic and it looks black now :slight_smile: i did this throughout and that solved a lot of my issues.

So i have come quite far since your response trying to make as many corrections as possible and to learn as much as i can about VRay but i still have a very long way to go!

This is my latest export:

As you can see a lot of the issues have been solved but i still have a few more:

1. Light is now leaking through the bottom of my cupboards (initially they were transparent) but i changed the texture/material and that solved the leak but now it’s back and i’ve tried to change the edges, surfaces etc but the light leak doesn’t go away

2. Inconsistent Shadows throughout

3. The ceiling above my desk has gone black and i have NO idea why? I have these two errors that pop up when i render:

Subpixel color mapping is on: rendered result may have incorrect brightness.
I saw a video that explains how to remove this but i did not work

Max ray intensity is enabled: rendered result may have incorrect brightness.

Here is my full render log:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XvLeSYzkm-zqOrVayRHyXtHLiF1kGNaT

1. I still can’t get my background image to appear through the window and the result is that there is an infinite amount of brightness peaking through the window and that is causing crazy shadows throughout the room

Thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it! :smiley:

Regards,
Oliver

Not sure how much more I can help as my V-Ray knowledge level is intermediate. One thing you need to do to avoid the ‘light leaking’ is to give your walls a thickness or enclose them in a ‘shell’. See below:
Without wall thickness

With wall thickness:

For your lights/shadows…all the lighting seems to be coming in from the window only. The ceiling lights are just emissive materials so there’s no real ‘light’ coming from them. You could add a Spot light into each to have some light coming from a source other than the window.

For your garden background, same issue with your other lights. The window and scene appears to be over exposed to allow just the outside light to light the whole room. This ‘blows out’ anything outside, like your garden texture. You could try adding it back in via photoshop or similar program.

The black color is again, bad material and or material path. The file you packed was missing a lot of materials so when I did a test render, most everything was black for me:

Not sure why but I’m also getting reflections that are not showing in your render. The desk and the side screen panel for instance. It’s definitely looking way better than before.

1 Like

I would doubt that :slight_smile: if there was an expert badge on this forum, you would certainly have achieved a few…

1 Like

Hi Eric-S,

Again thank you for the awesome answer!

I have come such a long way.
I am going to add small lights in above the curtains so the room has a bit more light.

I took the weekend to learn V-Ray as well as i could and i am getting fantastic results now!

My render is perfect but i have one issue that i am struggling to resolve.

The text that i added on the wall is now pixelating violently.

I thought it might be a sizing issue or perhaps a material tiling issue but the texture (bitmap) is high resolution so i am not sure what could be causing the pixelation any suggestions?

P.s. I upgraded to the latest version of V-Ray and the results are phenomenal.

Latest Render Attached:

Thank you again for all of the assistance :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re too kind

Again, all I can think of is a bad link path. You can try re-inserting it and see if that helps. As an alternative, you can use geometry placed into the wall itself. See example. I prefer to use Thom Thom’s Editable 3D Text as it lets me change the fonts, spacing, etc after the text has been placed. Then just apply the white color and you’re good.

You’re render is looking really good. Amazing what you can do when you stick to and don’t give up!

1 Like