New Workstation PC: GTX1070 vs PNY Quadro K2200

Hi everyone,

A little about myself and what I do.
My name is Mateusz (or Matt for easier) and I’m working for a concrete shuttering company. Drawings that I do are both 3D and 2D using SketchUp/Layout Pro 2016. I also do technical drawings for new components using Autodesk Inventor 2017. Majority of the work does involve SketchUp (probably around 75% of my time is spend using SketchUp/Layout) . There is a fair amount of 3D/2D rending involve as well using both software.

My boss asked me to build myself a workstation. Unfortunately he didn’t specify my budget but lets assume its around £1350 for a tower. My problem is that I keep finding different information based on graphic cards and don’t know what would be best for my use. Here are two systems that I have put together. Any feedback on them and which is preferable or maybe something else is much appreciated:

GTX 1070 Build
Processor: Inter Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz 8MB Cache
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P
Graphic Card: GeForce Gtx1070 8GB
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 MHz
HD: 250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO
O/S: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

PNY Quadro K2200 Build
Processor: Inter Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz 8MB Cache
Motherboard: Asus E3 Pro Gaming V5
Graphic Card: PNY Quadro K2200 4GB 640 Cuda Cores
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 MHz
HD: 250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO
O/S: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Many thanks in advance

1 Like

a GTX 1060 is already fine at least for SketchUp. Autodesk is using MS Direct3D * iirc * for the 3D display output (instead of OpenGL as e.g. SU) sothat a GTX is probably fine for Inventor too.

RAM is cheap in these times, go for 32 GB (plus ~40 £).

The Samsung 850 Evo is great, if some budget free the 850 Pro w/ 500 GB would be the better choice.

If you search “Quadro” on the forum, you will see what people say about them.

1 Like

Thanks for this suggestion. I have no idea why I didn’t do that in the first place

you don’t need a Quadro for SketchUp simply because SU doesn’t make any advantage of the extended/certified OpenGL support of the Quadro video driver… additionally, the Quadro K2200 is much slower than e.g. a GTX 1060.

2 Likes

Thanks to your contribution and more research on this forum I’ve decided that I’ll go with GTX series,

Thanks again for help

can you stop the Linux BS in every thread related to OS, tia.

4 Likes

I wanted to ask the same, but this quick answer solves my decision problem, but, what about rendering? I guess a GTX 8GB is more than good enough for rendering + a good processor…

thanks to your question I have solved my decision problem too, because I will start working much more with sketchup, and we have the same problem on the office, Im working as an Architect and we are trying to decide now which Video card will fit on our requirements.

you posted this on 2016, what can you say now about the results? are you happy with the GTX? what about rendering?, thanks in advance for your response :slight_smile:

Things have not changed. Quadro cards offer no benefit over GTX cards in SketchUp use or in GPU rendering, and when comparing equally priced options, Quadros are significantly slower.

1 Like

will go definitely for a GTX GPU :slight_smile: Thanks!

Apologise for the long absence, and just to confirm the GTX GPU has worked extremely well with the SKetchUP and would recommend.

When it comes to Rendering: The better and more expensive the GPU, the faster the Rendering-Speed. If you are doing a lot of Rendering and Animations go for a (Gaming-) High End GPU. If you only render now and then, you can go for a slower and less expensive GPU, like a RTX 2060.