Nesting Dynamic Components

Hi All,
I am trying to create a dynamic cabinet box. What I am currently working on is the toe kick.

The left panel is a component where I simply drew the toe kick as I want it to be on a standard cabinet.

With in the left panel component I created two components to define the toe kick. I captured the bounding lines of the depth and height of the toe kick. I was able to add attributes that position them and make their length just as I want.

The trouble is that when I resize the cabinet the two component faces and bounding lines stay right where they are supposed to but the sides of the left panel distort the toe kick size and don’t follow what used to be their bounding lines.

Is there any way to make them cooperate or do I need to add attributes to every bounding line and face of the toe kick with in the left panel component? I hope I’m kidding about that last part, that would be a crazy amount of detail.

Thanks - Joe

Dynamic Cabinet.skp (110.0 KB)

I see at least two solutions that can be obtained with Dynamic Components. Yes, you need to use nested components here. In the attached file you can explore the proposed options - the left side is simpler (but here it is difficult to get rid of dividing lines in visualizations), the right - more complicated in structure (but here the side looks like a solid material, although not) . Choose which option you like best! In addition to splitting the sides, I also added some extra settings for Toe Kick. These values can now also be changed by the user (or designer).

Dynamic Cabinet ToeKick.skp (139.9 KB)

Thanks Guntis,
I thought of those but was hoping to just build the dynamics into a single component. I know it is built in to cabinetry software programs but may just be beyond me at this point.

Your methods work fine for me because I am not exporting to a CNC. But it would be nice to have more control over the report generation so the side panel would be on the list but not the sub components to it. Thanks again for your help.

Joe

The follow up question or next question would be is there a way to make a rabbet or dado joint in the side panel as a dynamic element?

If you use Generate Report, you can limit the depth of the levels displayed in the report in the component hierarchy, or delete the excess from the resulting file.

I will not be able to give a qualified answer about connections, because I am not a carpenter and in my experience I do not create such elements with Dynamic Components.

With generate report you would use the “group by” with custom attribute(s) to filter the data required. So an attribute “des” which is only in intended items/levels is sorted (you can rename “des” in the report to “Description”)

With example, If you generate a report as is you can see how the “rubbish” is lumped together as “des” is null

Personally I would create simple DCs that have animation for kitchen design and customer input, then swap copies of these with DCs of detailed, laid out, solid parts/panels for shop drawings when required. These can be simplified by using outershell, union, explode… if CNC later?

example of DC side made of parts, if you outershell the set of groups, being solids, they will form a unit. If this done below the parent then swapping the result with the saved DC will reinstate the parts and the function. The simplification though possible manually, is best done with a ruby script, such we can progressively build to suit your cabinets if interested.

side.skp (102.2 KB)

1 Like