Need help with complex shapes and materials

Hi there!

I am trying to improve my Sketchup skills, to be able and make more difficult shapes / furniture. To do this, I got a well modeled chair from the 3D Warehouse, and I exploded the product, trying to find out how it was build.

In the image you can see the original chair in the top middle, with on the right side some of the torn out parts.
I was able to recreate the bend surfaces with the extension Soap bubble, how ever I don’t know how they made a bend surface become more ‘thick’. In this model the creator made a shape that coveres the thin sides, but I dont know how he made this part. Since I can’t seem to get it done with the follow me tool.

Also does anyone know how the material has been added to the bend surfaces? I copied the material to a flad surface, only to find out that the material has white parts in it aswell, as if the material was exactly fit onto the bend surface.

Also if anyone knows a tutorial or other link where I can learn about making more complex shapes like these, I would be happy to hear about them!
Ps. Sorry for my badly written English.

http://contentdeveloper.sketchup.com/en

You can also use Curviloft for this.

This plugin push/pulls curved faces: JointPushPull Interactive

Go to this article Sticking a Photo or Texture to a Face and see the part: “Projecting textures onto a curved surface”

Thanks guys, will look into this!

Follow-up question.
So I was able to make a thickness with curviloft (thanks again)

But can anyone tell me how I can change the direction the paint goes?
I know how the change it when the surface is flat, but on curved surfaces like in the screenshot… I wouldn’t know.

I want the pattern to follow the shape, instead of how it is shown.

[quote=“Tjeerd, post:5, topic:45027”]
But can anyone tell me how I can change the direction the paint goes?
I know how the change it when the surface is flat, but on curved surfaces like in the screenshot
[/quote]For such cases, you can try this plugin: SketchUV
or this: WrapR

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.