Need help identifying a Plugin used in a Tatlin Sofa You Tube video

Hi guys. I need help in identifying a plugin that is “grouped” together with two other plugins. It appears at the 7:36 mark of Part 1 of the “SketchUp Modeling - Tatlin Sofa - Part 1”, Sketchup Subdivision Modeling - Tatlin Sofa - Part 1- Introduction - YouTube. [Sorry, my Dropbox is interfering with anything I try to do; I mean, freezing the computer. So I can’t use OneNote, Box or any other program to take a picture of the video at 7:36 and attach it here.]

The Plugin has boxes that include “Show Hidden Geometry”, “Display Edges”, “Components Visibility”, and two more boxes that he didn’t name throughout the video. If someone could help me out by giving me the name of this Plugin and where I can get it, I would be grateful.

I’m a huge user of Vertex Tools, Quadface Tools, and now SUBd Tools.

It is not a plugin (nor extension.) It is a custom toolbar the video maker created himself.

Anyone can do this via the View > Toolbars… dialog.

See: SketchUp Users Guide: Viewing and customizing toolbars

Yes, I know it is a custom toolbar the maker grouped together, which he designated “basic 1”. However, the other “tools” are all Plugins that I recognize because I have them all. For instance one “plugin” that is in his “basic 1” is “Views”. Another one includes “Camera” (I believe) --“Position camera”, and “Walk Around”. I believe the third one is a “plugin” called “Styles”.

Just like the group “edit poly” are Thom Thom’s SUBd Tools and Quadface Tools. There are edges around the group.

However, if you are correct and only those particular icons are “made up” by him, then I am out of luck, because I have no idea how to make the icons, though it is frustrating to me because I should know how.

Let me investigate further and e-mail Thom Thom (who is also wondering).

None of these are plugins. They are all native features of SketchUp. You are describing the various native toolbars that come with SketchUp “out-of-the-box.”

Secondly, Ruby toolbar (plugin) buttons cannot be easily mixed with native buttons on custom toolbars. What you may be seeing is someone re-creating native-looking toolbar buttons with a Ruby extension.

Andreas made such an extension at one time. yes this is the link:
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/toolbar-editor

Yes confirmed. That is a ruby toolbar. It re-creates many native toolbar buttons which is more easily done with v2016+ because the button images are in the “Images” sub-folder. (But you need to know some Ruby programming and the SketchUp API to write the toolbar scripts.)

Yes, but what about “edit poly”, in which he basically says, “I have Thom Thom’s plugins SUBd and Quadface Tools grouped together”?

Look, I’m not trying to be a jerk about this. I just wondered what the heck what going on. I emailed Thom Thom; he doesn’t know either and he’s the one who made the Tools this guy is using.

(As far as needing to know some Ruby programming and SketchUp API to write the toolbar scripts, I’m sorry, I can’t. That’s part of the damage to the left brain that I suffered in my stroke 18 years ago. Hey, I got B’s in college physics and Calculus and the most I can do now is Pre-Algebra, x/248=46/357. I used to know the basics of structures, but now it looks like Arabic to me.

He says in the video, that he created those custom toolbars.

There are two ways.

(1) You can drag and drop native tool buttons to (and between) custom native toolbars.

(2) You can create custom Ruby toolbars by writing scripts. It takes a little bit of Ruby detective work to get references to other coder’s tool button images and command procs, but it is doable.

He has done so without Thomas’ knowledge.

Did you try out the custom toolbar plugin I mentioned ?

I figured you were correct. Went back and looked at the video, and noticed two differences in his toolbar and Thom Thom’s Quadface Toolbar: 1) the arrow is different, 2) Thom Thom gives you a pencil, he has none.

So, problem solved. I wrote down what he was doing when he used one of the buttons on the top toolbar, and I can clearly see where he got them from, just ruby scripts of things that SketchUp already does, but you have to go and find them.

Like I said, I’m no good at Ruby scripts because of the area of my brain that is damaged. It would take me so long to learn how to do anything even approaching something that may seem simple to you. I spent a year learning how to write again, I mean really write like I could before. I had to map out new neural pathways in my brain so I could literally write at the level and recover the level of vocabulary I had before. I used a professional program and wrote about a thousand pages. See, I could read with no problem, because that is controlled on the right side of the brain. So, too, is creativity. But communication, writing, mathematics (except geometry), is on the left side of the brain. Oh yeah, you want to hear something really funny, reading is controlled on the right side of the brain, but say the location of a scripture is located on the left side. So, I’m an apostate. [Kidding.] Which is hilarious.

Hi there. I’m the guy which made the sub-d tutorial you linked.
Sorry if I found this “a bit late” to respond, but I’ll do anyway in case someone else is still interested.

The plugin used to build that “edit poly” and other custom plugin toolbars is the Aerilius Custom Toolbar Plugin linked in this topic.
Too bad it actually isn’t working anymore for me in sketchup 2019 pro (that’s the reason why I was searching about the plugin and found this topic).

For the native functions (toggle component visibility, hidden geometry and that stuff) i use this other old plugin since sketchup 8.
Luckily enough, this one works in sketchup 2019 (I wouldn’t basically been able to use sketchup without it anymore!).
Here is the link:
https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=10041

About the different quadface selection arrow you spotted, I simply made that myself and overwrote the one found in the quadface plugin icons folder (to make it different from the native select tool)

There is an updated version (v1.1.4) in the EW …
https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/e413511f-0517-4115-8d81-90039a20a72c/toolbar-editor

I’ts the one I’m trying to use right now, but, when I open the toolbar editor, it’s empty and the loading buttons circle is spinning forever.

Below is the text from ruby console (i trimmed it, because that went on forever listing all of my 150 plugins in the same way as the last lines down here)

warning: key “Layer Manager” not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add' warning: key "Layer Manager" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate) C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add’
warning: key “Layer Manager” not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add' warning: key "Layer Manager" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate) C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add’
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add' warning: key "s4u-Select Tools" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate) C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add’
warning: key “s4u-Select Tools” not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add' warning: key "s4u-Select Tools" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate) C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add’
warning: key “s4u-Select Tools” not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add' warning: key "Dynamic Components" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate) C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add’
warning: key “Dynamic Components” not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add' warning: key "Dynamic Components" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate) C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in add’
warning: key “Perpendicular Face To”… not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)

I just unistalled Layer manager (the first in the list of previous error)

And i’m left with this new error in console.

`SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected tokenTypeError: no implicit conversion of String into IntegerError: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion of String into Integer>
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/bridge.rb:498:in `<<'
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/bridge.rb:498:in `log_error'
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/bridge.rb:254:in `rescue in __request_handler_htmldialog__'
C:/Users/Marcello Paniccia/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/bridge.rb:213:in `__request_handler_htmldialog__'
`
When you post error messages ... (click to view more) ...

When you post error messages, you need to properly delimit them because the forum swallows special characters that appear in error messages. See my posting code in forum wiki. Use the pencil icon to edit the previous posts, please. (Also when yo have a big list of errors, it’s better to paste them into a .txt file and attach it to the post. … OR … put the large list of errors into a collapsed “Details” group like this. You do so by hilighting everything and choosing Details from the gear menu on the post edit toolbar.)

Triple backtick dilimiter lines please, as described in the wiki.

We will ping @Aerilius and have him look at your errors.

I edited the last message (with current error) as suggested in your wiki.
The other, longer error message is “obsolete” because it isn’t showing anymore after i uninstalled layer manager.
Any hint about the loading problem going on here?
Maybe it’s something I can fix editing some path in the ruby code or in windows settings?
I tryied to contact the developer, but no luck till now.

Actually you didn’t. Single backtick delimiters are for single word or single lines.
Block of text or code use triple backtick delimiter lines before and after the block of text.
Please see the wiki again, there are examples for plain text and several coding languages.

Andreas will know as it’s his code. There is a TypeError in "Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/bridge.rb", line 213, his __request_handler_htmldialog__ method. This is causing it’s rescue clause to execute. The method looks to be expecting an Integer but is getting a String (that it cannot coerce into an Integer,) or it’s passing a String to something else when it needs to pass an Integer.
Now, I also see a SyntaxError happening which could cause code to not be completely loaded, which later could cause this TypeError. So the former may just be a symptom of the syntactical error.

@Aerilius

Notes on ToolbarEditor v 1.1.4 errors ...

Main issue is that tool command icons will not populate in the right hand pane of the dialog.

(1)

# Several lines in log_error() method, line 494, bridge.rb
$stderr << "Exception: Some funky message." << $/
#=> Exception: Some funky message.Error: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion of String into Integer>

What’s happening is that IO#<< returns an Integer number of characters written.
And then Integer#<< expects an Integer but you are appending a string containing a newline character.

Either …

$stderr << ( "Exception: Some funky message." << $/ )

… or where possible use …

$stderr << "Some text.\n"

Anyway these errors in the error logging method is masking a SyntaxError somewhere else in the code.

(2)

When the Editor dialog is opened, there are a bunch of Translate add errors (key not found warnings) when any of the 4 Trimble extensions are switched off in the Extensions manager …

warning: key "Sandbox" not found for locale en-US (AE::ToolbarEditor::Translate)
C:/Users/Dan/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/ae_toolbareditor/index.rb:115:in `add'

A total of 18 of these warnings: 1 for each toolbar, and one for each command on each toolbar.

It is weird that switching off only Sandbox cause warnings to appear for ALL extensions.

I see that the code is not encypted and am looking at it.
The error you see is happening inside an error handler, so there are indeed 2 errors happening.
I believe this extension is open source and I can communicate about the errors with Andreas in his GitHub repo for it. Might be a day or so before the next version is released. (EDIT: I take that back. If the repository is there it’s not public.)

Not sure I understood the problem.
Did you find a solution/fix, but you can’t publish it because of the code is private?

:wink: Neither do I as I don’t know his code well.

Fixing the log_error method bugs, just reveals other issues.
The dialog still will not display the icons for toolbars. (I’ve added some notes above for Andreas.)

Ironically, i uninstalled this 1.4 version and installed older 1.2
So far it works, but i cannot find the classic bezier curve in fredo spline (one of the tool i use the most) that’s makes my 150 plugins more usable, but THAT missing icon is triggering my OCD a lot :joy:

LOL I was also going to try this after breakfast.

You’ll need to ask @Fredo6 about his commands & plugins.

1 Like