Need advice/ help with the modelling of a golf cart

Hi, I’m new to SketchUp and I’m having issues with making my model a solid object. After drawing the outline of a golf cart in 2D with reference to the right view, I pulled it outwards and made it a group. However, I soon realised that it wasn’t a solid object when looking at the entity info and I couldn’t proceed to use solid tools from there.

Since I’m already asking for help with regards to the golf cart, I figured that I should ask for advice too while I’m at it. I plan to model the golf cart by drawing its 2D top view and front view and trim the model from there. So, is there a better way to go about doing so or should I resume with my way?

Thanks in advance!

golf_cart_no_wheels.skp (462.5 KB)

There is an internal face that is stopping it being a solid.
Internal face
As for your modelling method, it is a very common way to work with this sort of thing.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing it out :smiley:

When extruding the top view of the golf cart, I once again find myself not having a solid object. Is there any plugin I can use to aid me in this?

golf_cart_no_wheels.skp (438.0 KB)

Yes, look for solid inspector plugin in extension warehouse

After installing solid inspector 2, I used it to fix the reverse face issue but I’m still not able to make it a solid object, is this due to my nested instances?

golf_cart_no_wheels.skp (456.1 KB)

You have an extra face in the group that is causing it not to be a solid, xray mode makes it difficult to see.
Extra face

With this solid object issue whenever I pull/push, I’m starting to wonder if my fundamentals are wrong. Is there a better and more consistent way of pulling/pushing to get a solid object? As of right now I have been creating a plane to draw on and then extruding from there (like seen in the picture below)

I think this is the primary issue. You might find it better to put the golf cart aside for a little bit and learn the fundamentals with simpler models first.

That technique should work fine. I’m not sure what detailed steps might cause the result of a push-pull to have extraneous geometry (and thus be non-Solid). One possibility that might help is to delete the unwanted parts of the initial working-surface face prior to push-pull. In the screen capture shown, if you want the central rounded-corner-looking shape to be extruded, then delete the five unwanted perimeter edges that defined the majority of the original working rectangle (keep only the long middle edge along the bottom-left part of the shape in the image, which is part of the perimeter of the final central rounded-corner-thing).

If instead you want to extrude the U-shaped face that extends along the left, back, and right sides of the image, then delete the long middle edge along the bottom-left (which will also implicitly delete the central face). Execute the push-pull tool when what remains is the U-shaped face (which will become the upper or lower surface of the 3D solid).

Regarding nested objects, they will prevent a parent object from being recognized as Solid (even if the edges and faces of the parent form a proper water-tight manifold). If the only “complaint” from Solid Inspector2 is the presence of nested instances (groups or components), then the geometry of the parent object is OK.

Thanks TDahi, this worked like a charm and I have not been facing such issues since then.

When modelling the roof, the hole that I was trying to create went a little deep and cut into it, is there any way to either repair the surface or prevent it from happening?

Tried a different approach to model the roof but it seems like a hole would appear whenever I subtract the second solid group from the roof. Any help on this would be appreciated!

golf_cart_roof.skp (922.1 KB)

Thanks! This could potentially be the issue and I will give it a try. While I’m at it can anyone shed some light as to why my back support is not an object?

Chair head.skp (886.2 KB)

It’s an object, it just has no faces, you have to create them

All these questions of yours find the answer in basic things that you can learn if you start here: https://learn.sketchup.com/track/sketchup-fundamentals-part-1
with simpler shapes.