Move in wasd

I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE GOOD AT AUTO CAD SKETCHUP. :smiley:

BUT I FORGE MAPS IN HALO.

HOW DO I MOVE AROUND IN SKETCHUP USING WASD MONTIOR CONTROLS?

WHERE IS THE SETTING TO SWITCH TO FORGE CONTROLS?!
WHY DOES IT NOT WORK LIKE A VIDEO GAME?

HOW DO I SET TO MOVE AROUND USING WASD AND MOUSE LOOK JUST LIKE HALO?!!

WHY IS THERE NOT A MONTIONR ORB TOOL IN THE WALK TOOL?!
THIS IS STUPID YOU CANT EVEN FLY THROUGH A MODEL FROM THE CLOUD PREFABS AND LOOK AROUND LIKE A NORMAL PERSON DOES.

WHERE IS THE WASD SETTING?

1 Like

Why are you yelling? Turn off your Caps Lock!

You don’t. Learn to use the Move tool with the mouse.

There isn’t a setting to do that.

It’s not a video game.

Again. You don’t.

For the third time. There is no setting like that! Get over it. Learn to use SketchUp with the tools that exist or go play Halo.

3 Likes

NO WAY DUDE THIS SUCKS YOU NEED TO TAKE BETTER CARE OF FORGEERS OR ELSE YOU GET LESS CUSTOMERS. YOU NEED TO FIX IT BECAUSE ITS SUCH A SIMPLE KEY COMPONENT OF MAKING THIS COMPUTER PROGRAM ACCESSIBLE TO THE MASSES.

IS STEM IN YOUR SCHOOLS IMPORTANT TO YOU?

THEN YOU BETTER MAKE IT EASIER TO MOVE AROUND IN SKETCHUP. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I don’t need to do anything. SketchUp has been around much longer than Halo and is used mostly be adults professionally. It has also been used in schools since well before Halo was released. It works just fine as it is.

1 Like

Yo good but sketchup developers need to put in a move around a model in wasd tool becasue this is stupid people should be able to jump right in to it on the web and be like sweet look a new house model i found it works.

bam drop it in to the web editor - sweet! -

cool look theres helen as a reference point

my general contractor would pay me if i had auto cad skills

but i have forge skills

so let me put prefab objects in like halo

let me put in prefab trusses
let me drop in prefab joists
let me drop in prefab pipes and plumping and electrical

let me throuw a tree in the dirt
let me be master chief and stand on the dirt and turn collisions on and off

let me feel like virtual reality is this is what im building

this sucks it just feels like a graphing calculator its not even fun

make it better to move around and youll get better content and a larger community

you need wasd navication or else i would never buy sketchup

1 Like

Yawn…

When you grow up and get out into the real world, you’ll see it isn’t all video games.

You’d need to be using SketchUp Pro, then, too.

Why don’t you develop some skills that would be useful to professionals and then you can get a job. In the meantime, stay in school. Concentrate on your classes and get good grades. Do some community service and other things you can add to your college application so you can get into a good school once you graduate from high school in a few years.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

yo you better dy/dx f(x)/g(x) = [f’(x) * g(x) - g’(x) * f(x)]/g²(x) the heck right outta here buddy and get your PV=nRT straight DaveR becasue i move around in wasd and there are 6.022x10^23 atoms of carbon-12 in 12.0111 grams of carbon.

Its such a simple request. its not even that big a deal. moving around in wasd would be a quality of life improvement for new users of sketchup and would attract one new customer if this feature were implemented.

what do you care? you like using your weird setup for moving around, and i like my weird setup for movign around. its not even like that obscure of a request. lots of people use wasd to move around anyway, not just me

jeez you would think it would be already on the todo list of future updates in 2020, at least in sketchup you can now move around in wasd. what its been “SketchUp has been around much longer than Halo…” and you cant even implement such a humble request to move around in sketchup using wasd?

you gotta be kidding me :grimacing:

1 Like

There are millions of SketchUp users around the world and not one of them uses WASD to move anything. Get over it or go find a CAD program that lets you do what you want.

1 Like

This conversation is cracking me up! Your contractor would pay you if you had CAD skills… so go get some CAD skills.

I get that you want keyboard controls to “move around” a SketchUp model. Ok, aside from taking up already valuable keyboard shortcuts, I guess it’s a request. Maybe keyboard control could be activated only when the walk around function is active, I guess i could see that working, but can’t see a burning need for it. What would you use this for? Not for modeling, or making construction documents, or taking measurements, so for what? You just want to walk around freely inside an already completed SketchUp architectural model? Then put your model into Twinmotion or Enscape.

I think I get what you are asking for, despite the way you are bombastically demanding like a spoiled child. What I don’t get is why you want it, what do you want to do?

2 Likes

no there should just be a setting to make it so i can drop prefabs in like i do my forge auto cad

u need to see the bases i made dude they are awesome and i made some really great stuff

but when i go to prefabs in the sketchup cloud im like ok cool

then i try to move aroudn to put a different length prefab rafter in the floor board of a specific room that i see and all the mouse does is move around the camera to some other gosh dang room that i didnt want to work on before and all the friggin walls are in the way and i cant even move up close to the part of the cad file that i want to work on.

what if its some stupid little detail i want to change? wasd is perfect for this

its such a simple request, really. you said "Maybe keyboard control could be activated only when the walk around function is active, I guess i could see that working, but can’t see a burning need for it. "

well i dont bet but if i did that there are plenty of other people who just dont learn cad becasue they cant move around in it like they want to see the part they want to work on. and if they could use wasd then they would make cool projects in cad instead of their silly playstation.

its not even that uncommon. in fact it is common enough that there is humble post asking for this feature to be added to future updates.

and anyway at least you’ve heard of wasd controls before. so even you know what im talking about.

also it better not be crummby wasd controls becasue when they do implement the new wasd camera controls it better be exactly like halo 5 forge on windows 10 pc is becasue that is the perfect example of the kind of 3d structural navigation controls im talkinhg about. make it seamless (i get it might take a few tries to make it -perfect- but its such a stupid simple request i cant believe it isnt already a feature.)

and its dump the mouse controls now are inverted. when i click and drag left, the camera look is the opposite direction and when i turn up and down and orbit its all wonky like a donky on stilts

1 Like

Isn’t there too much rhetoric to clarify a simple question?

Each program has its own characteristics. There are things each of them does and does not do. This is the essence of all programs, and that is why there are so many different programs that not everyone does everything. I think you have chosen a program that does not suit your needs. The fault lies in your choice, not in the operation of the program. I will compare your claim with the desire to buy nails in a pharmacy. Well and what about the fact that they are traded somewhere else? Then go there and buy them, but don’t ask everyone to start selling nails now just because it’s more convenient for you!

P.S. But thank you, you made me laugh. I’ve never heard anything so funny! :rofl:

Ok Ok, calm down. First off, @DaveR has forgotten more about modeling in 3D than you are likely to learn, I’m sure he knows what wasd controls are.

I have never played halo, and I don’t know what forge is, nor do I make sweet bases. I do design and model things both large and small in 3D all day long professionally. And, nobody trying to model seriously would want to use wasd controls to actively model. Maybe for viewing a completed model for VR purposes but not to model. SketchUp navigation controls are similar to other CAD packages because this is the best way of working. The three wheel mouse controls work beautifully, when you know them.

Think of it like this; SketchUp is a new game, with new controls you need to learn. Not a run and gun, but more like a cross between a spaceship simulator and puzzle. Standing on the ground and being limited to walking around would be crazy slow and limited thinking, this is the matrix construct we are in, we can do anything here. You want to move quickly and precisely from one side of a huge model to another in seconds, You want to flip your model over and work on the bottom, then fly inside of it and change something small from the inside, you want to shrink a whole house down to fit in you hand and spin it around to work on different sides then fly through the walls to a specific room and adjusting something tiny, then jump back and see how the house fits into the whole neighborhood.

This is the kind of 3D flying control that is necessary to be good at modeling cleanly and quickly, and it takes a scroll wheel mouse in one hand and the modifier keys in the other. At the end of the day driving SketchUp well is very much like a game, and one can get very good at it. But it’s not intuitive at first and you have to practice.

3 Likes

Just stunned and speechless :anguished:

I know. It’s fun right?

3 Likes

Nice deal offer, but for what? I don’t see any point in that.

Good, I’m glad you will try. In that case I’ll throw you a bone and tell you about the walk around tool in the large too set that looks like this.

which will allow you to walk around on the floor using the arrow keys.

And some further reading if you want to navigate like the pros.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=navigating+in+sketchup&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_eXyLX_SsIoqx0PEPufK04AE18

1 Like

Ok, let’s turn this around.

Why doesn’t Halo use the same navigation as Sketchup?!

2 Likes

Because then you could fly and zoom through walls and would win every time? Seriously, I’m sure Halo is fun, but it’s a game designed to simulate running around? So it does.

Sorry, I was being a little sarcastic. Just surprised at the initial thread and request/demand.

Mike

2 Likes