Mouse Wheel Zooming Too Sensitive

Disable extenion AMS Smooth Zoom or make setup your preference.

opne window/preference
shortcut
type it in search box: zoom
With these steps you will find the extension that I mentioned.

6 Likes

you’re best, thanks

Great man. Cheers!

Thank you, I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while now, too many extensions to go through.

thank you very much

This didn’t work for me, I note that when “aiming” the cursor at a component/shape/etc, it scrolls in predictable ways. When the cursor is aimed at the background or any open space, the zoom fcn misbehaves. I have reinstalled, disabled all extensions, etc.

Does this point the conversation in one direction or another? Or is this expected behavior??

It is the normal (though I might not say “expected”) behavior. SketchUp’s zoom behaves very differently when the cursor is over an object in the model vs over open space. In the latter case it has no cues as to how big a distance is important and zoom can become very sensitive.

Huge help, Steve, thank you.

I added a 2d floor as a reference surface and it really improves scrolling. Experiencing a “duh” moment…

I’ll see if I can determine if adding it to a layer is better than adding/deleting as needed. Maybe someone knows which practice is better. Layers might fatten the file size/rendering time?

Neither adding a layer or a single surface as a ground plane (or even several) will significantly effect your file size. Layers and scenes are relatively benign in terms of file size.

good, thanks

Hi AVMNETO,

Very good suggestion, unfortunately this does not work for me.

Scrolling with the mousewheel behaves odd after some few minutes after opening/re-opening any skp file in Sketchup Pro 2018, never had this in Pro 2017. It zooms inn and out uncontrolled very fast.

Using Logitech M570 mouse on and HP ZBook 17, with Intel Core i7-6820HQ 2.70GHz and 32 GB RAM 64 Bit Windows 10 Entreprise.

Looked for the extension but didn’t find any under zoom? Any other remedy that any one have found so far?

Best regards
Jesper

@Jemagnussen

Plugins are not listed in the Preferences dialog.

Look to the top menus … Window > Extension Manager

Hi Geo,

True, but I was informed that an extention setting under windows > Preferences > Shortcuts could help adjusting the error in the zoom function in the scroll wheel on th mouse. Zoom is uncontrollable as it zooms in and out very fast and much more than asked for.

Best regards
Jesper

Go to … Window > Extension Manager

There, confirm whether you have installed the unruly plugin, AMS Smooth Zoom
If you have it installed, then, Disable or Uninstall it.

Logitech Options mouse control software also has a smooth scroll feature that may cause problems.

2 Likes

Sometimes I find the same problem. What I’ve found is that this can also happen when you’re working in a model where one part is quite a ways from another (or from the origin). Zoom seems to be confused as to where the base point of the zoom reference truly is.
My fix is to minimize the empty space between objects and/or the origin.
The other option is to use the actual Zoom Function instead of the scroll wheel. It’s much more precise and allows greater control
Just another couple of options, for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

I agree with the use of the ZOOM tool instead of the scroll wheel. It allows for much more control.
To access it, just type in “Z”

Ummm, are you agreeing with yourself!?

Hmmmm, maybe. Maybe not?

Seeing the same issue on sketchup free.
Even a single click on the mouse wheel rotation in either direction changes the zoom factor way too much. (from like seeing my whole model postage stamp size it zooms up to being inside a component.)

Found that switching the browser to full screen (F11) tamed the sensitivity of the mouse wheel.

Also a newbie factor: accurately placing the cursor to where you want to zoom into before turning the mouse wheel improves the usability.

Thanks so much!