More "Raster" in Sketchup when switched to a new Macbook M1 Pro--

Wondering if this has a technical explanation. When viewing the same file on my new Macbook M1 Pro, which I bought because my old intel Macbook was struggling to handle larger sketchup files, I notice that there is more “rastering”-- I don’t know if that’s the right term. But compare these two images. Straight lines show up with fewer sections, when viewed diagonally, than they do on the old Macbook. Is there a setting I need to adjust? I’m used to a more seamless render in sketchup.

Wondering if this has a technical explanation. When viewing the same file on my new Macbook M1 Pro, which I bought because my old intel Macbook was struggling to handle larger sketchup files, I notice that there is more “rastering”-- I don’t know if that’s the right term. But compare these two images. Straight lines show up with fewer sections, when viewed diagonally, than they do on the old Macbook. Is there a setting I need to adjust? I’m used to a more seamless render in sketchup.

The term is Anti-aliasing, The setting is on the Graphics panel of the Preferences dialog.

And yes, there are issues with AA on silicon Mac machines. @colin likely knows more on this.

1 Like

The new graphics engine uses Metal, and the system tells SketchUp that the highest you can go is 4x. You could switch to the classic graphics engine, that uses OpenGL, and then be able to go up to 8x or 16x.

2 Likes

Thanks so much-- when I updated to SU.2024, it seemed to fix most of the problem. I haven’t payed around with switching graphics engines because I’m in the middle of a big project and just want it to work for the moment. I appreciate the help.