More basic help

Im trying to flip a component along an axis but nothing is working, Im adding a gif to show what I am doing but unfortunately when record mode is on the option to flip along the axis is greyed out, when not trying to record the option is there but I don’t get any results

If you want to flip the component, don’t open it for editing. If you want to flip the geometry within the component, select all of it. It looks like you only have one face and its edges selected but because it’s connected to other geometry, you can’t flip the selection.

What are you trying to make? Upload the SKP file and I can show you exactly how to do what you want.

Hi Dave
I want to draw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEoGxZBgQcA&list=PLbyro_GcI_NkssxJsCenxlZoBSXhx_l6M&t=0s&index=5

Thinking about it I don’t think I should have made those rebates at the bottom instead just placing the upright in place and editing the ends to make a half lap.

Even when I move the upright away from the rest of the model and drag a selection box around it I cant flip it, nothing happens

folding workbench.skp (29.3 KB)

The vertical component has already been flipped twice since you created it. Notice the component axis orientation.

Due to its symmetry in all directions, its appearance won’t change when you flip it. Here I’ve edited the component and added a small circle to show that flipping it does work.

It’s not clear to me why you want to flip it at this point.

The rebates are pretty wide and a sloppy fit if the verticals are to fit in edgewise. And they aren’t wide enough if the verticals go in flat.

While I’m looking at your model, I see that instead of copying the un-notched component, you opened the component for editing and copied the geometry within.
Screenshot%20-%203_27_2019%20%2C%202_44_39%20PM

And the two with the notches should be instances of the same component with the one on the right being a flipped copy of the one on the left.

thanks Dave
how do you get the orientation marks to show on the component ?
The uprights are 75mm x 50mm which is why I wanted to flip it to fit into the rebates
Thats why i didnt understand not seeing a difference after being flipped

Window>Model Info>Components. Tick the box for Show component axes.

I think instead of flipping it, you want to rotate the component 90°.

1 Like

yes sir
I take it thats not the same as flipping along an axis

Flipping along an axis is a mirroring operation. You would use Flip Along to mirror a copy of the left hand component to make the right hand one.

In the animation I first changed the axes on the vertical piece to align with the model axes after I rotated it into position. Then the Flip Along was on Component’s Red.

FWIW, instead of drawing the components and moving them into place, model in place as much as you can. Only move copies to make additional identical parts.

How do you see this ?

Thank you
should I have drawn this without rebates and then made the upright and used push/pull to make it fit ? If so how do I centre the upright along the base ?

First clue: When I selected the front component, the bounding box extended to surround the rear one. And when I open it for editing, both parts are just loose geometry.

just tried selecting the front as you did and now I see what you mean about the bounding box.

I opened the part for editing but I don’t know how to tell about the loose geometry

Triple click on the geometry for the front one. You’ll see that the other one doesn’t show as selected.If you had copied the component instead, you would see the geometry in the back one shows the same thing you’re doing to the front one. Here I’ve repaired the component and copied it to the back. It should be flipped along the green axis but I didn’t do it so you can see that what I’m doing to the front one gets done to the copy.

By the way, from the component axis orientation in your model it is clear you are not modeling in place which means you are working harder than you need to and you are making it easier to create errors in your model.

I definitely do not need to make things any more difficult
Can you tell me about modelling in place compared to what Im doing please

If I were modeling this from scratch, I would have drawn the piece on the left that runs long way along the green axis and made it a component. I would have then drawn the vertical piece in place centered on the horizontal and made it a component. With those two components made, I would copy the two of them to the right side position and flipped them along the red direction to create the mirrored right side parts. With the two rails in place, I would then draw the intervening rail between them, made it a component and copied it to the opposite end and flipped it in the green direction.

Working this way means you are less likely to make errors and you don’t need to know or enter as many dimensions. For example you don’t need to know how long the front and back rails are to model them. You only need to make them long enough to span the gap between the side rails. If you placed the side rails in the right locations, the fron and back rails have to be the right size.

In the same way, when you model the piece of plywood that goes on top of that frame, you would just draw a rectangle using outside corners of the frame as the start and end points. It doesn’t matter how bit the frame is. You don’t need to know. You just need to draw that rectangle and let SketchUp tell you later when you are ready to know how big it is.

If you have to know all of the dimensions of every part before you model it, you might as well draw it with a pencil on the back of an envelope.

Thanks mate, I will redraw it tonight (try to) as you would and see how I go.

how do you get this part centred ?

There are numerous ways to do it. One would be to lay it out with guide lines.

1 Like

You’re a genius @DaveR. I was thinking the other day it would handy to see the axes for each component in the model. I always flip the wrong way first time :grimacing:

1 Like

How about that? Your wish was granted before you even voiced it.

2 Likes