Monitor sizes and makes

What size monitors are some of you using?

My primary monitor is a Samsung 27", secondary is a Wacom Cintiq

1 Like

My primary monitor is an iMac all in one 27" 5K, and secondary is a ViewSonic 17", used in Portrait mode, 1280 x 1024 native resolution.

Before the iMac, I had a Full HD Benq as my main monitor, and the same secondary. Had to go back to it for five weeks recently when the iMac was away for repair.

Both were more than good enough, but the iMac is a good deal better.

I’ve got a variety of screens, but I can still fit most relevant things into a 499 x 499 pixel box.

1 Like

Main monitor for SU/LO work is 34" Dell UltraWide. 24" Asus at home.

A Dell 24” at 1920 x 1200 on my Mac Pro. I like that aspect ratio of 16:10 much better than the 16:9 that is most common now.
Retina MacBook Pro 13” at 1680 x 1050 (using Quickres). A lot smaller, but still very useable for SketchUp.

Dual display with 15" MacBook Pro internal display (2880 x 1800 Retina) plus and aging 20" Philips 200W that’s only 1680x1050. I keep looking to replace the external. Doing photography as well as CAD, I’m looking for better than average color gamut and fidelity.

My old 22" Dell UltraSharp will be replaced next Wednesday by a 24" Dell UltraSharp. Both were ordered from the Dell Outlet store at a nice discount. Whatever you get, pay attention to the cable portals you will be dealing between your monitor and computer. A recent NVidia driver update caused a problem for two forum members with older port interfaces. One person who was still using an ancient VGA monitor discovered it wasn’t supported anymore. While the other person.just needed to upgrade cables.

Quite a few monitors use the DisplayPort and MiniDP, but I picked my particular model because it has a HDMI port (I need and already own a 15’ HDMI cable) and includes 4 USB 3.0 ports. Some computers, like the latest Pixelbook, has USB type C ports only.

That 24" Dell was my previous monitor (in a dual setup with a 20" Dell) before upgrading to the 34" — I concur on the 16:10 aspect ratio and wish my 24" Asus had it for the extra vertical pixels.

The U3415W has a 21:9 aspect ratio and WQHD (3440x1440) resolution, so works like the previous dual monitor setup: but without the centre bezels, and with extra vertical pixels.

(I also have a rMacBook Pro 13")

Luckily, most modern monitors have both HDMI and DisplayPort. I just discovered that an USB dock I use at work to connect an external monitor, keyboard and the wired network wouldn’t support the full 4K resolution of a monitor if it was connected with a HDMI cable but that it worked with DisplayPort.

One product line of 24" Dell UltraSharps did not have a HDMI port though it did have DisplayPorts. But I did not want to get a 15’ DisplayPort cable when I already had a HDMI cable.

Supposedly the small USB (3.1) type C port handles 4K monitors in addition to fast changing and data transfer duties, which is why the slim Pixelbook only has those ports.

I have a Dell 27" 2560x1600 external monitor - good colour rendition and my staff have 42" 4k Samsung Smart TVs

My monitor cost $1000 3 years ago, the smart TVs cost about $550 1 year later

All my company PC’s are notebooks with external monitors – will never buy a desktop again

Single computer (laptop) with docking station. When docked, I use 2 external, identical ViewSonic VP2468 monitors, both running at 1920x1280.

External displays are mounted side by side on the backdrop (in desk configuration) of a murphy bed/desk combination (as a bed, it’s the underside of the bed platform). Bought these specifically because I’m supposed to be able to daisy chain them using a single DisplayPort connection on the dock (fewer wires between dock and displays). So far, I haven’t been able to get it to work this way, so I’m still running one on the DisplayPort and the other HDMI. All docs (computer, dock, and monitors) say I SHOULD be able to get this to work, but no success yet!

Well, I was ‘forced’ to connect my new 24" Dell UltraSharp today. After ~10 years something funky was happening to old 22" UltraSharp (first noticed monitor buttons stop working. And the final blow was the monitor connection constantly rebooting. Unfortunately that was not related to a recent Win10 update that affected some monitors relying on an outdated graphics driver as I still use Win7 and did update everything).

It’s no 4K but still pretty nice (especially for the price). No text display issues with SU as one of the first things I needed to do was reset my system text display back down to default from the custom size of 110% I used with the 22" monitor. And with the new monitor I needed ran Windows ClearType twice to get text appearance back to what I was used to viewing (in Windows > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display. Either use Calibrate color or Adjust ClearType text to get the ClearType adjustment tool.) And with a larger monitor, there’s more room for extension toolbars docked to the outer margins of SU.

I’m tempted to try f.lux which automatically adjusts screen display to the time of day as I also needed to tweak the color and contrast of the monitor display and my eyes are very picky about screen colors(s).

After 10 years of last dealing with a new monitor, the new display ports threw me. So I was quite happy the new monitor worked with a 15’ HDMI cable I already owned. I do have a PCIe card for the new USB 3.1 type C cables in order to later play with that new port, but USB type C cables are still quite short.

Oh, another big reason I stayed with the UltraSharp was that a few years ago the old monitor was pushed off the desk to the tile floor and sustained no damage - neither to frame nor screen. All pixels worked as good as when I got the monitor. So I hope for the something close to the same performance going into the next decade.

My Dell ultrasharps got smashed when I moved to Sweden so I have bought some basic Samsung 27" 1920px monitors to replace them (two for only £200 in a sale). Samsung Monitors | View the Monitor Range | Samsung UK

They do fine for work, I did not want a larger monitor screen as I am often also running my HTC Vive as another display and it’s a lot easier on processing resources running smaller screens so I can see myself sticking with them for quite a while.

I use an iMac with 5K Retina display as my SketchUp client. I actually still use SketchUp Pro 2016 for most things because I prefer the very fine lines it renders. I really did not like SU 2017’s “improved” high-DPI behavior. I have installed 2018 but not experimented much with it yet.

21" Acer primary and a 19" secondary here .My thoughts are to replace the 19" with something larger in the coming months

Primary(s)
24" Dell UltraSharp 1920 x 1200 Matte Screen

Secondary(s)
Dell 1024 x 768 Matte Screen

While tooling around the web for monitor calibration tools I came across this site that give a good monitor calibration option summary.

Of particular interest to potential new monitor buyers, it referenced a web monitor test site, Lagom LCD test pages, which has color test images for download which can be printed out to bring with you to a physical store when examining monitors, for purchase, for color fidelity.

I did install f.lux to decrease monitor blue light during evening hours. Interesting app. Being that this is for home use, my computer use can range from early morning to late evening and having an automatic tweak to warm up evening viewing seems useful. I wasn’t too crazy about the app’s default warm color for evening, but it’s very easy to adjust to my liking. There’s a 2 week study with a researcher affiliated with one of the Harvard hospitals who’s looking into how monitors can affect sleep cycles which you can participate with through the app. Now that I know what I like with this app, I think I’ll participate.

1 Like

I’m very happy with a couple of ASUS PB328Q 32" WQHD 2560x1440 4ms DisplayPort HDMI DVI Eye Care Monitors. (whatever “eye care” means, I copied and pasted). Got them two years ago, and the price has dropped by about 50%. I was into photography also and used to calibrate them with a Colormunki. Seemed to work rather well.