Modifying drawings

I have drawn a slab supported by two blocks … I’d like to move the blocks without changing the slab !!!

The slab and each of the blocks should be either a group or component. If they were, you could simply select one or more of them and, using the Move tool, move them around wherever you wish.

However, if the slab and two blocks are not groups or components, that is, if they are raw geometry–all edges and faces–they are no doubt stuck together, and that would be the reason you’re asking the question in the first place.

When I tell you how to free the block from the slab, just remember that this particular sticky situation should not have arisen, because you should not have placed raw geometry in contact with other raw geometry unless you wanted them permanently stuck together. You should have grouped or componentized them first.

To extricate geometry stuck to other geometry, use the Copy function of the Move tool. That is, select the geometry you want to move, select the Move tool, and hit Ctrl which means “copy.” After you’ve moved a copy of the geometry you wanted to pull free, you can go back and just delete the original, which is still stuck.

-Gully

Alternatively you can select the bit(s) you want to move (all faces and edges) and make them into a group, then just move that group. You may need to patch a hole where this bit was stuck after you move it.

(There are many ways to do the same thing)

As Gully recommends…
It’s best to make each logical portion of the model a Group or Component before modeling the next.

Making Groups and Components — SketchUp Video

Thank you Gully …You’ve probably already figured this out, but I am completely new to this …
so the trick then is to forsee which shapes might want to be moved and draw them separately, group them as an objects then move the objects into place?
I did try a variation of this on a location away from the main drawing, sized it according to my required dimensions, but when I moved it, it changed size….

I appreciate you input … hopefully I can master this program

Bill1

In a way, it’s like building things in the real world. Each individual piece part of an assembly is typically fabricated separately, and then joined to the other parts of the assembly as a separate operation.

When you build something in SU, each individual piece part–each stick and board–is a group or component. The things that are grouped are the individual faces and edges that make up the geometry of the part. These faces and edges all go into the same context–into the same group or assembly. As you’ve seen, they’ll stick together, but that’s what you want at that level: that’s how you can make complex shapes out of simple geometric primitives. It’s not like you’d ever want to take a board apart into its constituent faces and edges.

It certainly doesn’t take a clairvoyant to figure out which elements should be grouped together; it just takes a little planning.

-Gully

Here’s a quick gif to demonstrate the difference between grouped and raw geometry.
I’ve made the parts as components then exploded the second set back to raw geometry.

Awesome … this helps a pile!
Thanks for taking the time to help with this ….

Bill