Models not opening from Google Drive

I use SketchUp in my class and have students submit .skp files as assignments and also have them share the folder with their work (in their Drive) with me.
When I double click on the .skp file it initially opens a preview, from which I can select to open with Sketchup for Schools

It used to open up the model directly, but now instead it takes me to my Sketchup home screen where I have to find it again and open it from there. This problem just started today and I am wondering if it is the result of an update or did I inadvertently change some setting.

3 Likes

I’m a teacher and I had the exact same issue today - not being able to open student’s SketchUp’s files that had been handed in, but just being sent to my own “Home” page in SketchUp for Schools.

In addition to the problem above, I have two more:

1. No longer able to use SketchUp templates in Google Classroom. In Google Classroom I also assign the students template SketchUp files that have been set-up for various challenges and simple project lessons. This has worked for the last few years, however today the students couldn’t open these at all. They were just sent to their “Home” page in SketchUp.

2. No longer able to share SketchUp files in Google Domain. Following on from the above problem, I went into my own Google Drive to make a copy of a template for the student. I renamed it and tried to share the SketchUp file with her, but I can’t. I get the error message that sharing is not available at this time.

Please help SketchUp.

1 Like

This is exactly happening to me! SU Please fix. I have to have them bring me their computer to view files and grade. It’s cumbersome and eats up class.

1 Like

I second this!

1 Like

I too am having trouble opening my students files from Google Classroom. We do several projects in my Pre-Engineering class that requires me to print their work to scale after they turn the project in to my Google Classroom (Students can’t print from their chromebooks)
Sketchup please help me fix this!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I can verify that this is definitely a bug and we are working on a fix as quickly as possible. I know it is not ideal to hear that we don’t have a fix yet but rest assured that we are doing everything possible to address this.

I ask for your understanding and patience in the meantime as we work to address this bug.

2 Likes

I’m a school IT tech, I have a teacher at my school with the same problem. When he tries to open links to student files in Google Drive, it just kicks him back to his Sketchup drive now.

1 Like

Hi CaseyG,
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate you getting back. I think we all are just thankful to know we are not alone in this issue and that our concerns are being heard. We hope you will be successful in the fix.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I just heard that we rolled out a hotfix that should have addressed this near the end of the day yesterday. I gave it a try this morning just to be sure and it worked, so you all should be all set. If you are still seeing the issue, let me know and I’ll pass along the report to the rest of the team.

Hi CaseyG,
I was using it this morning and it seemed to be working the way it used to. Thank you very much.

1 Like