Modeling Practice

Screw threads and round stuff mostly. Does anyone have an idea what it’s supposed to be?

12 Likes

A vise for cutting dovetails?

1 Like

It does remind one of a Moxon-style vise but it isn’t. It’s not normally used in the wood shop.

Here’s a Moxon-style vise.

3 Likes

I would have said a wooden clamp of some sort. Is it used in the clothing industry?

It is a clamp and it haw some wood but not used in the clothing industry.

I could tell you Dave but my explanation would be so long some might call it a book.

4 Likes

Hello! I saw your account on one of the forums and I’ve been meaning to ask if you could help me with my concern on how to create a printable 2d template of a 3d model i created. 3d model to printable 2d template
this is the link to that concern. i really need help

That is a finishing press, used in bookbinding. Traditional ones have wooden screws.

6 Likes

Very good. And of course you are correct that traditional one do have wooden screws. The information I was working from listed metal screws as it is intended to be accessible to the average person but I was thinking I would model up some wooden threads and make a second, older version.

2 Likes

Wooden screws while waiting for coffee to kick in.

Fewer parts to make for this version. right and left-handed screws this time.

5 Likes

I would make the flat part of the top somewhat smaller. Depending on use it might even taper to zero. If the press is used for cutting books with a “plough” the flat part is needed.

I use a Moxon-style vise instead of one like this. It works in fact equally well. And I have a second one that is only two 2" x 3"s held together by two large bolts with wing nuts.

2 Likes

I thought about that but was going by a drawing probably from the 50s or 60s. Easy enough to modify in SketchUp, though.

1 Like

Still another observation: I would make the clearance between the two screws perhaps about 350 mm (14"). As a hobbyist binder I have seldom needed more but a smaller one would restrict the size I can handle too much. And, again, if the press is used for cutting, the plough needs a bit extra space at the ends.

1 Like

I wondered about the length of the thing. I made it as long as the one in the old drawing but of course in SketchUp, adding some length is trivial with the Board Stretcher.

2 Likes

Right-hand and left-hand threads? Is that a characteristic of the real thing or mirroring issue. If one of the handles/screw came in from the opposite side then it would work like maple clamps.

Not a mirroring issue. It’s not unusual when there are two screws that might be operated at the same time to have left and right threaded ones. Surprisingly it’s more intuitive to work the hands toward or away from each other.

You’re absolutely right; we tend to want to work in opposition to each other. Hmmm … right hand v. left hand.

Spy vs. Spy. :smiley:

1 Like

You been around as long as Me Dave! :laughing: When I moved to Orlando they were still setting type by hand for engraving. Steve

1 Like

Dave…A request:
For a complete picture…would you mind modeling a book showing how the actual binding occurs with/in the device?

Thanks
Charlie