Modeling an Arch Top Frame and Panel Cabinet Door

I’m trying to model an arched raised panel cabinet door. All I can find on YouTube is square doors which are easy. Because no one has made a video on how to do it, I have to conclude that it can’t be done in Sketchup. My problem is, I can’t get the routed part of the top rail to follow the arch correctly. I’m using follow me with the routed shape, but it always goes past the end of the piece. I have to trim excess off and then it always leaves the end open. Anybody have any ideas? I’ve attached the model so you can see what I’m talking about.
Arched Rail.skp (92.3 KB)

Looks to me like you’re almost there. Just need to delete some stuff on the ends and correct the reversed faces. You need to select the geometry at the left end and do an Intersect Faces before erasing the end.

One thing I would normally do for something like this isextend the curve off the rail a bit at each end. Then I would start the profile off the part and let it run will beyond the other end. Kind of like turning on the router before you bring the cutter into contact with the work.

How will the rail fair into the stiles? Are you going to cope the ends of the rail to fit?

1 Like

Thanks Dave for replying. I tried deleting the extra geometry off the end, but I didn’t use the Intersect Faces. I take it that’s the secret to preventing the ends from being open. I will have to educate myself further on how and when to use the Intersect Faces tool. I have the stiles already modeled. I use the solid tool Trim to cut the coped end of the rail using the stile as a cutter.

Yes. When you run the extrusion through the ends of the rail, the faces of the extrusion don’t create the intersection with the end faces. Intersect Faces does that.

This is good. Your profile says you are using SketchUp Make so I avoided referring to the Solid Tools. If I were doing this sort of thing for a project I would create a positive of the profile and groove. Imagine the volume of space a router bit would pass through making the cut. Then I would use Trim from Eneroth Solid Tools or Bool Tools2 to trim the rail.

I used that same idea to cut the stopped bevels on the stretcher parts for this hayrake table.

I created volumes that were shaped like the path of a large chamfering bit and then trimmed the parts with them.

Thanks for the help. I recently upgraded to Sketchup Pro 2020.1 but hadn’t updated my profile. Thanks for reminding me. I will try your suggestions and then possibly make a YouTube video on how to do this. I can’t find any.

I’ve done a few of those sorts of things over the years in the Design. Click. Build. blog on the Fine Woodworking site.

Update: Finished the model. Thanks Dave. Your advice helped tremendously.

1 Like