Modeling a shoe insole.. help

Greetings, everybody.

This is the first time for me writing a topic in the forum. I was really admired to find this giant Sketchup Community.

I started to model the shoe insole by different techniques until I used the plugin “loft by spline”. Actually, this works fine for me. Now the upper surface, what is the right approach to control the grooving, slope of the surface so it reflects the right curves the foot takes. Waiting for your kind feedback.

Regards,

It’s not clear what you did with loft by spline if not create the contoured surface the foot rests on. That surface is really the whole trick, isn’t it? And I presume that’s what you need help with.

How about doing a Google image search on “insole,” finding one that looks like what you’re trying to make, and giving us a link. Then tell us exactly what problem you’re having.

-Gully

Thank you Mr. Gully for your great feedback. I have uploaded two images of the item need to be modeled. You can see now clearly the required modeling idea. In your openion, what is the right and quick approach to better model this object either by using standard SU tools or plugins.

Appreciating your help and support.

Here is also another supporting image:

Okay, this is sort of difficult. Here’s a process you can play around with. It may get you close.

-Gully

And of course…

-G

Wooow… Thank you a lot Mr. Gully. It was really very strong hint to have good continuation. I got most of the steps right earlier. The most helping hint is the using of an outline of an indentation as it was the most difficult part to model in the top surface, so you use the outline drawn on the button and extrude it then was auto-fold. Keep the good job and you gave me a powerful aid to finalize this model.

Wishing you the best.

To be precise, I used Alt-Move to push the surface down and then the Roate tool to rotate the surface deeper into the back of the sole, pivoting from the front.

-Gully

Can I see some of your modeling projects, if you don’t mind.

Regards,

Gee, thanks. Well, I’ve got a bunch of stuff in the 3D Warehouse under the names Tom H and Gully Foyle. It’s mostly stuff I’ve done to learn the program and to use as tutorials or demos in support of this forum. Probably some of the better, more elaborate models are under the Tom H identity, because that’s when I was learning the program and trying to stretch myself. I guess my favorites are Boat Hull, Violin2, P-51 Mustang, Puddle Jumpers, and Nuts to You.

The model of my new house, the making of which is why I learned SU in the first place, I keep on my hard drive for my personal viewing.

-Gully

I have viewed most of your models in the 3D Warehouse, but for Tom H (couldn’t find them!)…

In fact, I like the way you modeled the objects with some additional details in the items. I wish you publish them on YouTube one day to be more practical especially for those bignners of Sketchup.

Take care.

Hi, with reference to this image:
http://forums.sketchup.com/uploads/default/808/b252d6a76a441e85.jpg

@Gully_Foyle

The five steps you did above are nice ones. I think there should be one more step before the last step (ambiguous)?!!!

I have tried many times with small and larges scales, to use Alt-Move with irregular objects, but always the model got distorted. Is the auto-fold used only with regular objects only? as it has equal distances from the far edge?

I can see clearly you used Alt-Move (auto fold) with irregular object and works fine. Please explain it to me very well as I searched the internet and the community forum but always they talk about regular shapes such as square, circle, polygon, etc…

In the red area (No.1) there was no straight line beside the curve but when I auto fold it a line separated the curve and the original edge (non smooth auto fold). Also, in the red area (No. 2), was not considered in the geometry when auto folded. Every thing is available for you, please investigate and provide your valuable comments and tips.

Attached is my model when I apply auto fold!to forum.skp (208.4 KB)

Many thanks Gully for your prompt support.

Ali

Well, Ali, I did leave off the step where I had trimmed the intersection of the inner foot shape and the insole, leaving just its outline. After that, though, it was as I said: I used Alt-Move to move that inner outline down into the sole, then used Rotate to pivot the inner outline back from the front, pushing the heel down deeper.

Alt-Move worked fine. I didn’t save the model, though, so I can’t show you.

The main difference between our models is that I extruded a raised arch shape into the profile of my main inner sole from a side view, and you didn’t. I guess that feature prevented the fold lines from crossing all the way from back to front.

-Gully

Anyway, I will exactly do the same steps and upload the model so you just apply the last step in the same file if it is not implemented successfully by me…

Take care.

Here’s another run at it showing a bit moire detail:

-Gully

Appreciating your excellent demo… I just see your last reply… I have already modeled the insole using the hints that day and it worked fine… Here there is just one command (rotate that would help shape the last model).

I’m really grateful to you Gully for the great efforts…

Regards,