Model has disappeared but statistics say theres still something there

I drew a line and my model disappeared, almost as though the application crashed. No tools will work and the axis isn’t showing. I autosave a second copy and the same thing happened on the autosaved copy. Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!

If you upload the SKP file so we can see what you’ve got, we can likely help you solve the problem.

great, here it is! BM Land.skp (698.0 KB)

It’s still all there… but something happened to move some thing far from the origin - I guess [now]unattached-text]…
I’ll look into it and report back…

Thanks!

I selected the groups in Outliner, copied them, and pasted them into a new file. I see this:

This won’t get any ungrouped geometry, though. TIG is likely correct that you have some unattached leader text that has ended up miles from the origin.

Dave did a fix sans-code.
This might also fix it:

model = Sketchup.active_model
model.start_operation("TextCheck", false)
ss = model.selection
txts = []
ctr = 0
puts "\nChecking Text in Model...\n\n"
model.entities.grep(Sketchup::Text).each{|t|
  if t.point.to_a.any?(&:nan?)
    ctr+=1
    puts "#{ctr}: \"#{t.text}\" on Layer \"#{t.layer.name}\" @ #{t.point.to_a} - relocated at [0, 0, 0]"
    t.point=ORIGIN
    t.bounds.clear
    t.layer.visible = true
    t.hidden = false
    txts << t
  end
}
dtxs = []
ctr = 0
puts "\nChecking Text inside Definitions...\n\n"
model.definitions.each{|d|
  d.entities.grep(Sketchup::Text).each{|t|
    if t.point.to_a.any?(&:nan?)
      ctr+=1
      puts "#{ctr}: Defn \"d.name\" : Text = \"#{t.text}\" on Layer \"#{t.layer.name}\" @ #{t.point.to_a} - relocated at [0, 0, 0]"
      t.point=ORIGIN
      t.bounds.clear
      t.layer.visible = true
      t.hidden = false
      dtxs << t
    end
  }
  d.invalidate_bounds
}
view = model.active_view
if txts[0]
  model.bounds.clear
  bb = Geom::BoundingBox.new
  bb.add(ORIGIN)
  model.bounds.add(bb)
  view.refresh
  puts "\nTrying to force Model 'Zoom Extents' - please wait, it might take several seconds..."
  puts "\nThe relocated Model Text will now be Selected - after it completes press Delete if desired..."
  puts "\nAny problem Text relocated inside Definitions must be manually edited..." if dtxs[0]
  ss.clear
  ss.add(txts)
  3.times{
    view.zoom_extents
    view.refresh
  }
  model.commit_operation
  view.refresh
  puts "\nDone."
elsif dtxs[0]
  puts "\nAny problem Text relocated inside Definitions must be manually edited..."
  puts "\nDone."
  view.refresh
  model.commit_operation
else
  puts "\nNo Text problems found..."
  model.abort_operation
end
puts
1 Like

But it’s not a Text issue…
maybe a Dim ??

1 Like

The code at this link will fix it

I’ve copy and pasted that into Ruby Console and i says: Checking Text in Model…

Checking Text inside Definitions…

No Text problems found…

nil

If i selected all and made the model 1 group do you think i could copy and paste it to a new file?

You could but selecting all is probably going to select the entity that is causing the problem, too. Copying it into the new file won’t help.

I’ve just tried it and all i got was what you got but all the grouped models were separate groups, but overlapping each other

What did you select? I selected all the groups shown in Outliner and copied them in one step.

Did you try the RescueMyModel plugin that sWilliams linked to?

Strangely I tried the link from sWilliams twice and it didn’t work, however I have just tried it again and my model is back! maybe I missed a few lines or something when copy and pasting! Thank you all for the help and saving me from disaster!!!

That’s good. Since it’s a known thing, make sure you delete any dimensions or text entities before deleting the entity they are attached to.

Now you can get back to playing with your model. Is this a just for fun thing? Modeling your own house? It was hard to tell from the few groups I saw what it looks like.

Coming late into this conversation. I looked at your model and found 13 edges that had somehow come to be an absurd distance from the model origin. I erased these and then did a zoom extents. This is what resulted:

BM Land.skp (725.1 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I’m thinking of renovating so just playing around with a few ideas at the minute

1 Like

Thanks!