Menu in Apple disappears when you click on it

I am using OS X 10.11.3 with two screens. SketchUp is not in full screen mode. When I click on a menu, file for example it will show the file menu as expected. However if I click on edit menu next it will appear and then immediately disappear and I need to click on it again for it to appear. I don’t have any window managers installed so it should all be vanilla. I was hoping to reach someone that will care about this bug in the community forum as I could not find a bug reporting platform.

Hi and welcome,
just trying to clarify what your doing with the mouse and the click sequence…
are you moving directly from one to the next, or clicking off between clicks?

the behaviour you describe reads to me as if it is working properly…

Click ‘File’ in the menubar
move to and
Click ‘Edit’ in the menubar
Edit flashes open and immediately closes…
move back to and again
Click ‘Edit’ in the menubar
Edit stays open…

Once you open one menu item with a click, hovering should open the next and clicking should close whichever is under the mouse…

I notice with many apps, if they are busy when you go to the menu you get delayed responses which osx actually ‘stores’…

So for example if you click twice, because the first is being held back, when it’s released it will be a double click…

on the menu item that’s open/close…
you can see this cache behaviour if you run a plugin the has lots of message boxes requiring a click…

if they are all the same size you can click x number of times on the first one and they will all open then close without further clicks… [hitting ‘enter’ does the same thing for these]…

I also experience ‘erratic’ menu behaviour when working on large files and it’s part of the reason I disable ‘Autosave’…

john

Hi
Thank you for the response. It looks like the behaviour is the same for other applications too. So a bug or “feature” on macs which is a bit irritating. I for some reason have not noticed this before in other applications. My Mac is not working that hard so there should be no delay in rendering the menu items.

Regards

Like John, I’m confused as to what is really the problem. I think you are simply put off by standard Mac OS behavior that has been the same for a long time.

When you click a menu heading, e.g. “File” in the menubar, the associated menu opens. If you then simply move the cursor over a different heading, e.g. “Edit”, the edit menu opens. You don’t need to click on “Edit” to make that happen, and in fact, clicking on the heading for an open menu tells OS X to close that menu! So, yes, if you open the File menu then move the cursor and click on “Edit”, you will see the Edit menu flash open and close immediately - because that’s what you told OS X to do!

I don’t see any issue except for misunderstanding. Am I not describing what you are seeing?

BTW: this has nothing to do with SketchUp. Every OS X app behaves the same.