Memory leak? Sketchup taking huge amounts of ram on Apple Silicon mac

Sketchup 2021 seems to be using huge amounts of ram on my M1 mac, even with small medium to low complexity files.

In the occasion of the screenshot I happened to be working on a 100mb file while setting up vray, but this behavior happens regardless of using the renderer.

It’s more noticeable when opening and closing files within the same Sketchup instance. Looks like when you close a file Sketchup wont wipe the memory that was in use, indicating some sort of memory leak issue.

I also have been noticing a 2-6 seconds lag when switching between file windows depending on the model complexity/size. Even though you can zoom in and out with the mouse over an inactive window.

Captura de Tela 2021-08-23 às 17.42.07 (2)

Are you, by chance, using a 3D mouse?

Oh sorry! Forgot to mention that I’m aware of this issue. Unfortunately no. Never had. Brand new mac, not restored from any backup.

Has this been resolved? Sketchup is asking approx. 7GB[!] and Layout 5GB[!] my Mac forces me to quite other applications!!

There is no LayOut in the free Web version, and Apple Silicon Macs do not run the old Catalina OS. Correct your profile and tell us what you are actually using.

How accurate is this tool?
It shows your system has 8Gb of memory - so it can’t be using 47.GB. Weird.

Something isn’t quite right for you for sure.

But a few general pointers that might be worth looking at:

Also, worth noting that V-ray isn’t currently supported on M1 , so it could be some weirdness related to this - I think it will be included in “SketchUp” as it’s probably a child process.

You may find you get better performance if you have material previews and final render using CPU rather than GPU. The GPU based renderer will be taking away system memory from that small 8GB Pool of memory your Mac has shared between System and GPU.
Likewise if this screen is accurate then you might want to shut down Whatsapp and Safari too, they are using a chunk of memory each- which won’t be helping your experience.

A 100MB sketchup file won’t translate into 100MB of memory being used - I can open a 4MB file but if I want I can make it use 4GB of memory with instancing groups and components often enough.

100mb SketchUp file is typically not a simple scene - I would anticipate there are some 3D warehouse components in there that are on the heavy side! it may be you have a lot of bloated components and optimisations you can make there . If you haven’t recently, you might want to purge the model of unused things.

Hi My Sketchup Pro 2022 on a new M1 MacBook Pro Max is pretty much unusable, the activity m monitor shows it is consuming over 7GB… of RAM for a 32MB File. I can’t Zoom, it keeps crashing etc… Can anyone help with this please.

many thanks

Dan

Can you post the file you are having troubles with here?

Are you using extra devices like a 3DConnexion 3D mouse? Their device driver caused amemory leak but that, AFAIK, has been fixed long ago.
Are you using extensions, a rendering one perhaps? Would disabling them help?
What does your Model Info>Statistics page say if you check the Show Nested Components box?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.