Measurements in Viewer

The viewer is useful but I get many clients who would like to take a measurement whilst viewing.
Perhaps this could be added to the next version?
Anyone else out there that feels it would be useful?

2 Likes

This has been requested in the past so maybe it’s a feature that could show up in a future version. In the meantime, while you wait, you could upload your model to Trimble Connect and give them a link to it so they can view it in the Trimble Connect 3D Viewer It already has the ability to take measurements.

Thanks, will try that.

2 Likes

Interesting that the Tape Measure tool works in the SketchUp Viewer Android app on phone or tablet, and also in the Apple iPad, and I think in the iPhone app too. Have tested that the first three do.

Why not in the desktop Viewer too?

1 Like

I expect the desktop viewer isn’t getting much love these days because of the Trimble Connect viewer. Actually it makes some sense to me to use the TC viewer instead. The client doesn’t need to download the .skp file to look at it in the TC viewer which means they don’t have it to pass on to someone else. They can look but that’s about it.

Sort of makes sense. I like to carry some models around with me to show people where there isn’t an internet connection. That works fine on a tablet, less well on a laptop without internet if you want to take measurements.

I’ve not really tried using the Trimble Connect or cloud storage for my models. I probably should explore that side of SketchUp more.

As usual, I learn something useful from you, Dave, almost every time you post (which is often!) Thanks, many times over.

2 Likes

I would also really like to see measurment tool in desktop Viewer… Trimble connect still has too many other issues to be really usable for sharing with clients.

1 Like

I would love this feature as well. My wife is my design partner at our firm. We only have a single license for SU, and keep a view only backup on our LAN NAS then she can view files without doing anything to them. She has way too much going on with other aspects of interior design to bother learning sketchup, or trying to design on it. A second license doesn’t make sense, and I keep my second copy on laptop just in case I need to work remotely. Not as common now as it was before COVID, but it still happens on site visit days, etc. +1 on the measurements in desktop viewer

1 Like

Viewer deserve this and soon.
Measurements, select and info tools, just like on the mobile app.
Otherwise kill it :slight_smile:

@MikeTadros could SU mobile Viewer be ported somehow on desktop?
I image a new Viewer like a stripped down SU for web with just Viewer commands…

having measurement functionality etc. in the mobile viewers but no in the desktop application is at least inconsistent …and a little bit awkward too.

@Trimble: can you please implement this pretty soon?

1 Like

I’ve heard with the new M1 Mac, you’ll be able to run iOS apps on a MacOS. That might fix that problem for Mac users. Don’t know about Windows user tho.

I tried the Trimble 3D viewer. I’m VERY disappointed about this viewer. I can’t see the different scenes I’ve created. No way to see my model cross-section! Another NONE-professional tool we don’t need!!!

1 Like

Fwiw, there are no style settings in Trimble connect 3D viewer, either
It has other purposes.
Derived from (Frank) Gehry technologies, Trimble Connect first was developed for Tekla and now getting some more attention from SketchUp’s team.

From a ‘BIM’ point of view, only the geometry and attached metadata or properties are important.
Even section cuts are ‘not done’, for it can be done in the viewer (multiple, by following a curve)
There is also layer control and you can set up and share views.

Lot of professional potential…

Hi,after update the new version of sketchup viewer for ios 16 i found out there is no measure tool anymore. and can you add more interact on click that can open or close the door( ex for door and window) so the vewers can simulate the opening too?

Hi @ardillas, thanks for your question. In the update to the iPhone app that was launched back in April, we relocated all of the tools, including the Tape Measure tool, to a toolbar that you can open up by tapping the Select Tool.

I hope that helps.