Meaning of blue '#' sign on Pages Window – Missing Page Numbers from Auto-Text <PageNumbers> tag

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to know what the Blue ‘#’ is called on the Pages Window. And for that matter, also, what purpose/function it serves.

I have a layout document where this ‘#’ sign is currently set to page 3.

I suspect this is related to another issue I’ve found regarding the Auto-Text ‘PageNumbers’ tag… Mainly that the page numbers for pages 1, and 2, DON’T appear on the page. . . However, for page 3, and all subsequent pages the numbers DO appear.

I’d like to be able to relocate, or reassign this icon to a new page, preferably page 1, but I can’t find a way to do that. And maybe I don’t need to but somehow I am fixated on the idea that in doing so I’ll also fix the problem of the missing page numbers.

Any Ideas on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Take Care,

Jim

Hi Jim-

you’re right that the hash tag is connected to the PageNumber Auto-Text tag. Every page that’s set as a “starting page” for a PageNumber tag will have a blue hash tag next to it. To change the starting page, go to:
File menu > Document setup > Auto-text > Page number, Start page

Thanks,
Marc

1 Like

Thank You, Marc!!

You got it exactly right,. . . but I suppose you already know that.

I reset the starting page, and I’m back on track now – with a little more knowledge than I had before thanks to you.

Take Care,

Jim

and how about having 2 hashtags in the pages menu?
the document setup shows one correctly as being the starting page but the second page marked with it as well?

So are you seeing two ##'s? What OS are you running on? Would you be able to attach a screen shot?

Trent

I have the same issue… 2 blue hashtags… it is just a minor nuisance since it doesn’t cause any harm… page numbering starts where you set it up in documents setup.

If you have multiple “PageNumber” Auto-Text tags, you can set a different “Start Page” for each of the tags. You will see as many blue hashmarks as there are tags.

To see this, you can hover over the blue hash sign, and it will give you a tooltip something like this:
“Starting Page for and ”

This is useful for numbering different sections. For example, if your document has these pages:

1. Cover
  2. Table of contents
  3. Site Plan 1
  4. Site Plan 2
  5. Details 1
  6. Details 2
  7. Details 3
    You could create one Auto-Text tag with a “Start Page” of 3 (corresponding to “Site Plan 1”), and another tag with a “Start Page” of 5 (corresponding to “Details 1”).

We’d like to expand support here to make Auto-Text more powerful and flexible, but I don’t know when that will get done.

-Marc

How do you add or delete the pound sign?

Your post is from 5 years ago, BTW.

The pound sign in the Pages panel indicates the page on which number starts. Change where the # sign is by selecting the desired page in the Start Page drop down list in Document Setup>Auto Text>PageNumber.

You can’t delete it but why would you need to?

I had a weird experience with 2 # signs…

See @Marc 's answer:

What was strange was that I could not change it. It took 5 or 6 attempts and opening and closing the file to make that happen. I have noticed that older Layout files that are saved in the newest version behave unexpectedly sometimes. Thanks again!

Hi @Marc - I still don’t fully understand.
When you say “multiple ‘PageNumber’ auto-text tags”, do mean by duplicating the auto-text or can it be done some other way?

ps. I also encountered to hashtags, not remembering if I ever did anything to make them appear, or if that was a glitch or something.

He meant creating a duplicate text tag in Document Setup.
Screenshot - 2_24_2024 , 5_43_19 AM

Then you can set up different numbering schemes for different sets of page. Here I have created a second Page Number text tag. PageNumber is set up to begin numbering on the 5th sheet with the number 1.

I renamed the duplicated PageNumber text tag to PageNumberLetters and set it to start on the first sheet with the letter A.

In the document I would add the tag PageNumberLetters on a shared layer visible on only the first four sheets and PageNumber to a shared layer visible on sheets 5 and after.

You must have created a second PageNumber text tag.

1 Like

Dave is answering your question. For your interest, Marc was the scale figure in SketchUp 2019, but actually left the company before 2019 was released. LayOut auto text features have changed a lot since he left.

Thanks @DaveR

I understand the rationale behind this approach.
For instance, one could have a chapter with pages 1-7 and then a second chapter starting from page 1 again.

However, wouldn’t it be necessary to place those different Auto-Texts in separate layers? This way, you could toggle the relevant Auto-Text on or off for the specific page sequence in question.
Or do you have any other suggestions for handling this?

Yes. There’s no cost increase for adding additional layers, though. Make as many as you need.

You should be adding a bunch of layers to your templates anyway. Layers for content like page numbers or page names and titleblock stuff that is shared across pages and layers for entity types like SketchUp viewports, images, dimensions, annotations, etc.

1 Like