Materials Lists / Colours How to remove Lists Permanently DELETE

Hi There,

I’m wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I have with the materials lists provided by Sketch Up. I’ve been using Sketch up for a couple of years now and I have never used any of the colours provided. I create my own materials lists and all my colour fills are custom.

After recently having “crash while launching issues” I had to delete my sketch up, preferences, etc… and reinstall a new version. I lost all my materials lists because of this. Now I am recreating them. But I want to delete all the existing material lists provided by sketch up. But every time I open a new file the old lists reappear. I find this very irritating. While I can “remove” the lists temporarily they are never actually ever gone for real!

Could anyone tell me how to permanently delete the material lists? I have a MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

If anyone could offer suggestions that would be great. I haven’t found info for this online that fits this conundrum.

-mazzie

Do you mean the in model material list (containing the materials of the scale figure) or the material library?

the SU ‘default’ Materials are buried inside the app and will keep reappearing unless stopped…

/Applications/SketchUp\ 2018/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Materials

re-naming the folder to ‘Materials_OFF’ or trashing will stop them…

you would also need to block the Apple ones as well, but then they will not be available in other apps…

john

I’m referring to the material’s library I believe. I attached a photo here. I just removed all the lists that I could and this one on the image won’t even allow me to remove it. The “Web Safe Colour List”

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. I tried to retrieve it from the app. But I can’t seem to access it the way you are suggesting here. This is as far as I can go when I try to access it via Applications. See attached image.

-mazzie

24%20AM

there are two ways at least…

oldSkool: R-Click on SketchUp icon >> Show Package Content >> etc…

Lazy: highlight my path in the above post >> R-Click >> Services >> Reveal in Finder…

john

You have to hold control key while you click on an app in Finder and then choose “Show Package Contents” to view its contents.

PS: The Web Safe Colors set is set either by the system or by some other app (I don’t know which), not by SketchUp. That’s why SketchUp can’t remove it.

Thank you, John! That seems to have done the trick. Hopefully I will never see those lists again!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share this info.

Best,
mazzie

Thank you for your reply! Much appreciated!

I always use SketchUp->About SketchUp and then ‘Open sources credits’