Materials and their image points of origin

Hopefully I can explain this. When I have a component, like a window with glass, I like to have an image in the glass. This would reflect a background using a JPEG. It would seem the Material with the JPEG in it uses the component origin to place it. My problem with this is my image in the glass is exactly the same is similar component. Right now I go into the individual component and move the material around on the glass surface. Is there and way to have the material to use the model origin as it’s point of reference? The first image the windows are the same. The second image I moved the material on the glass. In the 3rd rendering you can see how it’s a problem with the window looking the same with out moving the material. Any advise? I like being able to do all this in sketchUp so I can generate multiple renderings in SketchUp without post production work. I know if I explode my Components it would work, but that’s a problem because the model change through out the design process and I need them to stay components.

You could try placing the image on a larger surface then just using the portions of the surface that reflect what you want the reflection to show.
I did this to determine what part of a picture would show in an irregular picture frame and it worked fairly well.

1 Like

If your source image texture is set to Projected, and you make each window component unique, you can pick up the full texture then go into each window, and paint bucket fill that face. It will then show the right part of the full image, without having to do any positioning.

1 Like

I would remove the glass from the window and just place a larger rectangle behind them with your image?

1 Like

How do you set the source image texture to Projected? I’m not seeing it

I’ve done that in the past on smaller project. It gets more time consuming on larger projects. I would keep the glass for shadows and a touch of color for jambs and mullions and adjust the transparency to see the back image.

Easiest way is to import as Image, place it vertically in the direction you see through the windows, then explode it. It’s now a regular face with a texture. Right-click, Texture, make sure that Projected is selected. Eyedropper it once, and then paint bucket the inside of each window.

You could also create a placeholder backdrop face, import the image as Texture, and make it fill that face.

1 Like