Match photo with central perspective

Hello to everybody, sorry for my english, and for my mistakes.
I have to insert a forniture in a photo using sketchup with the comand match photo.
I already did this kind of thing, but always in perspective with two points of view, and It works good.
Now I have a photo with only one point of view, a central perspective, and I have some problem, measures aren’t right, and the lines that I draw doesn’t follow the perspective grid.
Do you know which si the problem, and how to resolve it?
Really thanks.

If possible please upload the photo to see.

This is the photo

Unfortunately, this is not a great picture for using Match Photo. The grid on the floor is great, but seem to run at 45 degrees from the walls in the image. Also, the walls are all parallel in your image (image was not shot at an angle, but straight onto the back wall). This makes it difficult to establish a vanishing point with Match Photo.

Which modifications are hiding behind the mod in the filename? If you cropped the image it will be another problem for a good photo match…

I suspected that It was not a good photo, but I thinked it was strange that match photo doesn’t works good.
I turned the image because it was not really straight so I had to crop it just a littel bit.
Maybe the problem is that match photo doesn’t work with image with central perspectice, with only one point, maybe this is the problem.
An example image with central perspective is next here, that is like the image in which I should work.

Match photo is specifically designed for two-point perspective. It can’t handle single-point perspective (nor three point perspective!).

1 Like

Ok, thanks, so it is the problem, I will try with others methods.
Thanks guys, this forum works really good, in a short time you explain to me the problem.

1 Like

In addition to requiring 2-point perspective, Match Photo also requires that the photo not be cropped or otherwise manipulated for such things as perspective control.The whole point of it is to mimic the original camera setup but there’s no way for it to compensate for editing you might do after the photo is made.

MatchPhoto accepts converging verticals as they cannot be avoided in photography. In practice you cannot take an image with only two vanishing points with a camera without perspective correction optics. Probably images taken with a shift/tilt lens would not work with MatchPhoto (they would appear as manipulated)

2 Likes

You’re not alone wanting to be able to do this. I’ve wanted the developer to add this capability to Match Photo for a long time. Any chance we could convince them do so with enough requests?

2 Likes

I’m (still) wondering why you say SketchUp can’t handle single-point perspective.
While modeling you need some help with guides but I guess that’s allowed.
I’m thinking of an image resembling the (not that perfect made) drawing above.
With some accurate measures (like the back base, the height and a walll on one side you can make/match the model with the image (or photo)
What needs to be scaled in the end is the direction perpendicular to the screen. That is what where the side wall measure comes into play.

1 Like

I didn’t say SketchUp can’t handle single point perspective. After all, it’s just a matter of camera position relative to the flat surfaces in the model. I said I don’t think the match photo facility is designed or capable for that. If you can illustrate a workflow that uses the match photo tool on one point perspective, I’ll gladly eat my words.

1 Like

From the article on Match Photo in the Help Center:

1 Like

With only one vanishing point, there’s not enough information to correctly set up the camera in SketchUp . It’s not a shortcoming of Match Photo that needs be addressed. It’s the physics of the situation.

1 Like

Why not use the clear perspective in the checkerboard floor in the image above? I did a rushed test. It seems to work.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope my suggestion makes sense?

2 Likes

One vanishing point plus one known distance in the “depth” direction ought to be enough. It was the first assignment we did in the short photogrammetry course I had around 1975. BTW, the original photo example in this thread HAS at least two vanishing points, even if the other is quite far away (the beams in the roof, for instance, are visibly not parallel to the image edges.

I did write with only one vanishing point there’s not enough information.

'Match photo is integrated in SketchUp and with the drawing that was presented you can use ‘MatchPhoto’ to build the model.

one_point_perspective.skp (160.1 KB)

(The photo may even be worth a try using the tiles as @iarga suggested)

1 Like

FYI 2 point perspective photomatch • sketchUcation • 1

1 Like