Mapping and remapping keys

Hello. Is there a way to (re)map keys within SketchUp Pro 2022? I have two issues:

1. My ESC key is the exact same size and shape (and spacing) as my F keys, and often I inadvertently hit F1 instead of ESC. This causes my browser to open the Help page, which is a nuisance because my potato computer is already stretched to the limits just running SketchUp Pro (and sometimes V-Ray);

2. Protractor and Follow Me get used a lot, but there is no hotkey assigned to either.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it would be nice to know if it can be done. Thanks.

alas, this is windows behaviour.
There are certainly ways to prevent f1 to start the help page, but that would be in windows, not just SU. But I agree, I’ve had the issue this week, with a keyboard like yours, and accidentally pressing F1 every now and then is really annoying.
A quick and dirty fix would be to physically remove F1, or look for ways to deactivate it (keymapping
apps, or maybe through the bios ?)

This on the other hand is a fixable issue :slight_smile:
Go in Sketchup preferences (windows / preferences). there is a tab for the shortcuts
In this tab, you can look for the tools you need, and on their right, add new shortcuts.

1 Like

Try Windows Powertoys - Keyboard Mapper…

or AutoHotKey.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hot key info! That’s kind of a big deal for me, since those are two of my most used tools! :slight_smile: :grinning:

Re the ESC/F1 key issue, since there’s no easy in-app remedy, I’ll just have to be more careful I guess.

Okay, thanks, I’ll try it for sure!

I use Powertoys to permanently map F1 to ctrl+s aka save.

1 Like

Add another ESC key.

My right hand is operating my mouse. Thus I was constantly reaching across thr keyboard for the numeric pad to enter the size for a rectangle

I found a numeric keypad with numbers, arrow keys, delete backspace ESCAPE and a comma key and Enter. I parked the numeric keypad to the left of my keyboard and use my left hand on it. I am happy.

RaceGT Wireless Number Pad, Numeric Keypad Ultra-Silent Rechargeable 2.4G 35 Keys for Laptop,Desktop,PC, Notebook…

Visit the RaceGT Store.

Only one I could find with a comma key.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.