Manual input of dimensions in 'Length' box not working

I was wrestling with this problem for a while and none of the obvious solutions were working. Turns out that its was my dual language settings within Windows 10. I type in English and Chinese and I had my language on the Chinese setting - was repeatedly entering 1220,2440 and hitting enter and it just wasn’t working - until I changed back to English.

It’s probably a very specific/niche problem but it may help someone one day…

It’s important to know your Computer’s number setting, which vary by locale & language.

In the English speaking world and some other countries the decimal separator is a . [aka a full-stop or point], and the list separator is a , [comma]
So in those locales it’s 1.234mm for a length and [12,34] for two numerical values in a list.

In many other countries the decimal separator is a , [comma] and the list separator is a ; [semicolon]
So in those locales it’s 1,234mm for a length and [12;34] for two numerical values in a list.

SketchUp follows your computer’s settings…

I’m having the same problem using SketchUp Web on an iPad Pro. There doesn’t seem to be a way to access the keyboard on the iPad. Has anyone found a solution?

When I try to type the measurements and insert a space, e.g., “21, 10 1/2”, it deletes the shape I am trying to draw as soon as I type the first space.

The web app hasn’t worked properly for a while, so the keyboard not working is a minor issue compared to nothing else working.

This is a very recent problem that is being investigated.

I’m using MS Edge for my browser based Sketchup, I checked my language settings: English only. I’m not only unable to enter dimensions, but when trying to group items (or lock onto an axis, say when rotating) the cursor turns into a question mark in a square and items I did (and sometimes didn’t) select would be deleted when pressing “esc” to exit the command.

Since Windows 10 hasn’t been auto-updating it’s not likely to be caused by a recent update, but it could still be a conflict with the web browser which is updated and windows which isn’t, so I’ll try updating windows next.

I have other CAD software, so this hasn’t been a big priority for me, it’s been going on for a month (maybe more), so I’ve just used other programs hoping that Sketchup would resolve the issue communally.

There have been some issues with Edge releated to keyboard shortcuts and such although Microsoft apparently recently fixed them so it would be worth trying to update to the latest version. Or use Chrome.

The newer version of Edge does fix all of these issues that you see in v44 of Edge.

I am using Safari. Every time I hit the shift key to enter (") or inches the dimensions reset. I am releasing the mouse and typing.

I see that problem too. I will tell the team that develop the web version.

If you are in a document that is feet and inches, or inches, you don’t need to type “. 12’6 Return for example would give you 12’ 6”.

The other solution would be to use a different browser.

1 Like

Issue is tracked, please use chrome for now.