Making Schedule 40 PVC DWV fittings for Proper USA collection in VBO Piping Pro

Can someone with Revit convert this into something I can open in sketchup?

Pretty pleeeease

Actually, does anyone know where I can find a 3D catalog of every Schedule 40 PVC DWV fitting there is? I’m planning to make a proper USA Collection for VBO Piping pro.

Charlotte Pipe doesn’t even have one…

I don’t have an active revit license unfortunately, but do the site where you got the RVT file offers an IFC file? you can use that, i believe is the closest thing to a RVT file importable into sketchup.

1 Like

It does not, unfortunately. What’s frustrating is I’m not even sure if the file I posted has the 3D models I’m looking for…

McMaster Carr is potentially a source.
They have downloadable DWV 3D fittings. (No Revit though)
Also have a Solidworks add in/ downloader

Try the Engineering ToolBox Extension Warehouse. Their website.

Which version Revit file is that? If the newest, is there an older one?

1 Like

Not for SketchUp either, nothing in there I can open.

Duly noted. Last I checked their options were limited.

There is this, but boy does it hurt my eyes…

Honestly you will likely be much better off using the 2D cad details they do provide to create native (low poly) .skp components.
Yes, probably seems like a lot of work, but in my experience any import/rework of existing 3D models of this kind are usually VERY heavy to start with.
Just my 2 pennies worth. :wink:

2 Likes

Where did you see those? Found it

So far so good. I’m a bit slow at this, but more so, distracted…

I’ll be sure to share the collection when it is finished and working.

3 Likes

Very nice progress!
I see you have resisted the temptation to “over model”.
Well done.

1 Like

This is really good practice!

1 Like

This is probably the most complicated solid I’ve ever made so far—lots of cleanup in the middle.

bandicam 2022-07-17 10-42-45-197

Untitled.skp (62.7 KB)

[TOPIC HAS BEEN APPROPRIATELY RENAMED]

1 Like

Thanks for suggesting that I model them myself. It’s honestly been really fun, and I’m really happy that I can make these as accurate yet low poly as I like!

I will be posting more pictures of the other fittings that I’ve made so far to make this more of a gallery.

Any advice or pointers are much appreciated.

Also, I need to make sure that I am aware of every common schedule 40 PVC DWV fitting I can find. Not sure if this link has all the different kinds, but I am pretty close to done with all the different types available here (just one size of each).

1 Like

Looks like you may already have it covered, but a fixed guide on a tag at the center of fitting hubs and center of any branch of a fitting may be useful once you start assembling a complete plumbing system.

Basically once you are “off axis” you may need a local “assisting” aid to turn or position fittings/or lengths of pipe.

Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

I’ve done something similar for scaffolding fittings and scaffolding tube joiners (on 3D Warehouse - link Scaffolding tube couplers - Dynamic Components | 3D Warehouse).

They are low poly, like yours, with eight segment circles.

I made them with guide points (as already suggested, above) and centrelines, to aid in assembly of scaffolding structures.

And then made them into Dynamic Components with options for rotation about x, y, and z axes.

The Pipe Along Path plug-in allows you to join the guidepoints with a line between fittings, then create the joining pipe in a couple of clicks.

I edited the plug-in code to default the pipe external diameter to 1.9 inch (48mm approx) and interior diameter to 0.

You could do something similar for your commonest pipe size.

1 Like

Yes sir, but I didn’t have it on a tag. Good idea.

block

looking forward to seeing your final product. I can see many uses for this library of parts.

1 Like

The fittings so far. All the pieces are solids. Most are all one piece.

Double Wye

P-Traps (one with compression the other with a female socket)

Short Reducer Tee
bandicam 2022-07-19 10-07-48-200

Coupling

Round Cap

Fixed the too many segments. Only 8 now.

Threaded Cap

Long and Short Turn 90° Elbows

45° Elbows, one with a male end and the other with a female socket (again a bit too many segments on these, I’ll have to fix that).

And finally the good ol’ Tee

2 Likes