Lost lines

Hi, can anyone tell me why I lose some lines (of door swings) when I switch the SU Model Viewport between Raster & Hybrid, please? I can’t recall the benefit or not of switching to Hybrid, is it file size or something else? Anyone its annoying that all lines don’t appear in Raster view why some and not others?

It’s hard to tell exactly without seeing how your model is built. Are the door swings 2D groups or components laying on a floor face? Or are the something else? Share your LO file so we can see and help you out.

I raised the door swing lines above the floor finish face

Did that work?

It looks like it did now that I have your file open. You might want to remove the file from your post now since it has sensitive information in it and the file is available for the world to harvest.

No, if you switch to Raster the door swing lines to Bed 2 & 3 disappear

I think I read from a previous post around 2018 this might be a bug?

Sorry. I thought you wanted to use Hybrid so you’d have vector edges. I’ll look.

I opened your SU file and those door swings weren’t visible in the scene either.
Screenshot - 6_11_2021 , 7_00_26 AM

I raised the door swings up a little more and then they were.
Screenshot - 6_11_2021 , 7_01_23 AM

And then they become visible in the viewport when rendered as Raster.

If I were modeling something like this I would give the door swings their own tag that could be turned on or off as desired. Then in LO I would use stacked viewports with one of them set to show only the door swings and the door swing tag turned off in the viewport showing the walls.

Strangely sometimes they could be seen in the SU and sometimes not. I guess they were on the cusp of just being visible. Any way many thanks for your help and solution to the issue :smiley:

1 Like

@DaveR’s method of dealing with door swings is one but here’s another.

I think of doors as 3D objects and the swings as 2D objects. So I have them separately tagged. That way, I can make them visible in plan view and invisible in any other. But also, if you think about it, no door base is in actual contact with a floor or you’d never get the door open. There is usually at least 10mm (3/8") gap underneath. So if you model the door like that and have the swing level with the base of the door, you shouldn’t get the problem of a conflict between floor surface and swing arc which may be the source of your problem.

My way avoids using stacked viewports.

FWIW, his door swings were higher at 10mm in his model and still not showing.

Weird.

Actually, a little more poking around, though shows that the two door components in question are slightly lower than the others. If those doors were moved up, all would be well.

I see that the model as Length Snapping enabled and as we know that can cause problems of this sort.

1 Like

Not so weird.

Hi guys, you are both more techy that me! I get all of what you are saying and certainly length snapping was not on on purpose but I can see that may have caused the problem. Also on a similar theme another issue I have is where all items, say doors are contained in one group. If one doesn’t open the group (by not clicking enough times or if the whole group cannot be seen) the whole group containing all of the items gets moved. Therefore is it better to allocate objects to layers (now tags) individually rather than grouping them and then allocating them to a layer. Ironic really one of the driving factors for me migrating to SU from AutoCAD was because of to many variables! Thanks again

Personally I would prefer to give the doors a tag and the door swings another tag so you can control their visibility and I would avoid the excessive nesting because as you indicate it makes more work to make adjustments.

2 Likes