Logitech MX-Ergo - Can I make it work like a 3DConnection Spacemouse?

I recently “converted” to a Logitech MX-Ergo Trackball Mouse and I am yet to try it on SketchUp Pro on my personal laptop. I have a 3DConnection SpaceNavigator and it works great but, at some point the base will rotate and the movement flow/orbiting/etc. gets confusing (I use this event to assess when I spend too long on the program).

Has anybody here used the same Trackball on Sketchup? This way I wouldn`t have to travel with a lot of “gadgets” that attract a lot of unwanted attention at Airports…

I travel frequently with my personal laptop, my company´s laptop, personal smartphone, company smartphone, my Tablet, all the charger cabling, mice… and the 3DConnection is pretty heavy…

Thanks.

A Spacemouse is used in conjunction with a “normal mouse”. If you were able to convert your trackball to perform like a spacemouse you would need a second mouse to do the tasks you would normaly perform with your trackball… Or would you like to do everything with just the trackball??
If it were possible, you could use your laptop’s trackpad as the normal mouse by the way…
But I don’t think it is possible, your trackball doesn’t have 6 degrees of freedom like the Spacemouse.
I believe it has just 2…

2 Likes

That is to prevent it from rotating, but mine does it too…
Just turn it back and you are good to go for a while.
For travelling it is indeed a downside…

1 Like

I find I need to clear the rubber on the bottom of the space mouse occasionally, and also the surface where it sits. Otherwise it will slip and twist, but when clean it stays quite steady.

4 Likes

Thank You for your answer. Normally, when it happens, I consider that I have already been working for too many hours :slight_smile: and just go out for a coffee and a cigarette…

BR,
Santos Pedro.

1 Like

I tried it on the Sketchup Make 2017 free trial that I have in an old Laptop and it kind of works… not with the 6 degrees of motion but I can sort of make it work with combinations of the Trackball, the Scroll wheel and the buttons… it is a makeshift solution for when I don´t have the Space Navigator…

1 Like

Yes, I do it often. But, most of the time when it happens it means I am “on the job” for too long and need to get away and clear my mind. I don`t really notice when it starts happening, I just realize that the motions on the screen are not what I am telling it to do and my brain tries to over-compensate and then the penny drops… :laughing:

1 Like