Load Errors on new installation of SketchUp Make on OSX

I just installed SketchUp Make yesterday and installed it. I get failures to load rbs files on startup. According to this thread, it seems to be linked to case-sensitive filesystem (which I do use):

Error Loading File /Users/skippyjon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools/advancedcameratools_main.rbs
Failed to read RBS file.
Error Loading File /Users/skippyjon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcobservers.rbs
Failed to read RBS file.
Error Loading File su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb
Could not find included file 'su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb'

However, it’s been a few months since that discussion happened and the recent build still has that problem. Are there any workarounds (besides reformatting to use a case-insensitive filesystem…which I wouldn’t do)? Any idea when we might get a fix?

I’m going to make sure we got issues filed for that - or bump the ones we have.
But I think most extensions assume a case-insensitive filesystem so even if we fixed the extensions we ship with SketchUp you will probably end up still having a lot of issues with extensions not working because of that.

It is indeed true that similar issues can reoccur with other extensions again, but case in general (or case sensitivity) is not a “feature” that needs effort to support, rather is case inconsistency an inaccuracy like a spelling mistake (and causes effort to fix). I think quite a lot of programmers are used to spelling function calls correctly, so why shouldn’t that be the same with filenames… I see correct filename spelling as a basic quality requirement, one could propose it as an acceptance criterium.

A workaround that many people use is to create copies (or better symbolic links) with different spelling variants.
When you get an error like:

Error Loading File su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb
Could not find included file 'su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb'

Navigate to the location of that file and you find instead an existing file ‘sandboxmenus.rb’. Create a symbolic link with the name ‘SandboxMenus.rb’ pointing to the existing file.
I don’t have an idea about the rbs read problem (as the file exists).

Thanks!

I think having a fully functioning SketchUp with a case-sensitive filesystem is worthwhile. In several years of having my Mac with a case-sensitive filesystem, it’s the first time I encounter an issue like this with an application.

I understand extension authors might need some education before I can expect the full ecosystem to be working as intended but it should still be the goal.

I just installed SketchUp 2014 on my student computers. Network logins. Mac 10.8.5. AFP shares for network mounts. I get the following errors on start up of SU.

Suggestions? Ignore? Next step?

thanks,

Error Loading File /Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools/advancedcameratools_main.rbs
Failed to read RBS file.
Error Loading File /Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcobservers.rbs
Failed to read RBS file.
Error Loading File /Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/GeometryHelpers.rbs
Failed to read RBS file.
Error Loading File /Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb
Error: #<NameError: uninitialized constant Sketchup::SandboxTools::DefaultManager>
/Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb:33:in <module:SandboxTools>' /Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/SandboxMenus.rb:24:in<top (required)>’
/Applications/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require' /Applications/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/extensions.rb:197:inload’
/Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox.rb:45:in register_extension' /Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox.rb:45:inmodule:SandboxTools
/Network/Servers/s02pro.sotdaz.com/Volumes/Home/students/grade6/ikaplan/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox.rb:29:in `<top (required)>’

You should be able to ignore the messages for now - the associated plugins won’t work, but the core of SketchUp should be fine. As time permits we’ll put up a document with some workarounds.

The case-sensitivity issue is definitely on our radar - we started working on a fix for 2015 but discovered that the errors that you’re seeing are the tip of the iceberg and we ran out of time.

thanks,
Marc

I think at one time (in the 1.8 trunk,) Ruby’s require() method was case sensitive (with respect to checking the $LOADED_FEATURES array.)

The Ruby Core team abandoned this as it seemed to cause more trouble then it was worth.

See the Ruby Change logs.

I installed sketchup pro and get the same errors.
So I don`t have dynamic components - Is this problem already solved?

Just installed SketchUp Pro 2015, having same problems.
And my Styles window is empty.
Was there a workaround posted?

My 10.8.5 OSX install is case sensitive and must stay that way.

I created a case-insensitive volume and reinstalled SketchUp Pro 2015 on it, and made a symlink from “~/Library/Application Support/Sketchup 2015” to a dir on the ci volume.
That did not help.

bump

I’m experiencing the same problem after installing Sketchup Make with the Pro trial.

Sketchup 2016.