Live Modeling a Garden Shed

Well… the tile kind of says it all. Join us at Noon (MDT) today and we will model and frame a shed!

Join me on YouTube , Facebook, or Twitch!

4 Likes

Is this it? I figured you had a sample here.

You can check out the live-stream on the links above!

I’m in the live stream Jimmy Pockrus I was looking for the garden shed. I thought he said to go find it here.

It will be here once he’s created the model.

1 Like

Here’s my SketchUp shed I built recently. I live in England, so it’s always wet…

IMG_0884

8 Likes

Really enjoyed the live modeling session. Thank-you for taking the time to provide these type of interactive opportunities.

5 Likes

It was fun to watch you model as always, Aaron.

FWIW, here’s a shot of the model I made of my garden shed. The original design for it was done in an ancient CAD program called Anvil2K.

2 Likes

Site built trusses with let-in strong backs?

Yes. Gussets glued and nailed in place. Those “strong backs” are placed so the edges of the roof sheathing fall on them. There’s a ridge vent so the top pieces of sheathing don’t go all the way to the peak. I built the trusses on the floor of the shed before putting up the walls. With the chords resting on the top plates, I used Lag screws to secure the trusses. The sheathing and siding was done so that if I decide to sell the shed the lag screws can be removed and the roof lifted off in one piece making the shed short enough that it can be transported on a flatbed truck without worrying about overhead lines. I was originally going to buy a shed of similar size but the company that builds them said it would be very costly because the height would require them to get special permits to haul it.

2 Likes

I’ll toss in a foundation since it hasn’t been touched on here.
Usually at a minimum I’d build a shed on two treated 4x6s.
This particular customer wanted something more substantial with a place to store ladders.
The triangle provides the square up for digging pier holes.
Shep
8%20x%2012%20shed%20foundation

3 Likes

HeShed, SheShed?

1 Like

Mainly he shed, with some of “she’s” bits stored in there too. (As little as possible)

I work in the wooden garden furniture business and my boss didn’t end up charging me for any of the base or structure materials. I only paid for the roof sheets, felt and fascia boards so that worked out great.

When I moved into my house I only had a small 4x6 shed, but the garden already had an old rickety 10x10 wooden shed that I planned to fix up. The big problem with that were the shed had been set on a sloping piece of ground so it were leaning. Being in the state it were, it weren’t worth the effort or money to fix it up. So I just planned to get rid of it and build a new one.

Before I know it five years have passed. So I just took the bull by the horns and got on with it. I got the new shed up a few months ago which made three sheds in the garden. Last week I had a big clear out ripping down the old two sheds consolidating three sheds into just the new one that has plenty of better organised storage inside and worktop areas around 3 sides.

I thought about having a larger workshop, but after being in that environment for 11 hours a day, I just want a break from the noise. I do have a scrollsaw that I’ve been getting more into lately, that’s nice and quiet and creates little mess too. My wife keeps asking about wooden ornaments so I think I’ll have quite a few of those projects to keep me busy.

I have plenty of other tools that I’m always using to fix things around the house too. I always try to fix before replacing, a trait learned from my dad. I do find it rewarding. For that kind of thing it’s the perfect space.

3 Likes

Hello Aaron

Any chance you might do a quick review of using the Axis Tool in conjunction with using the generate report tool in your next video?

I’ve tried umpteen times and reviewed YouTube vid countless times and still can’t seem to understand how you got the length of the 2x6. I keep getting 5-1/2" length only with Generate Report.

If you can’t do a quick step by step in using this powerful function, then could you recommend another video learning source?

Thanks!!

Daniel O

1 Like

Aaron changed the axes of the components so the blue axis was along the length of the timber. Right click on the component, choose Change axes, click to set the origin, click along the short edge for the red direction, the 5-1/2 in. direction for the green and the blue should take care of itself.

FWIW, the Cutlist extension doesn’t require those gymnastics with the axes to get the legth to fall in the right column. The longest dimension is always put in the Length column, shortest under Thickness.

2 Likes

PS I’m sure I speak for many people in saying that we love your videos and humor, and look forward to them each week.

2 Likes

Quick and easy Dave - done! Thanks for the fast reply.

1 Like