Line jumps in Layout

Hi,

I would like to switch from Visio to Layout for our wiring diagrams. I’m wondering if there’s a way to do line jumps in Layout? Line Jump
Something like that

Not automatically that I’m aware of. You would have to manually draw the line jump using the arc tools, and copy & paste into place where you want it to be located, and add the straight lines at both sides. (You could save the line jump segment in a Layout file as a template, so you don’t need to recreate it every time you start a new diagram.)

Capture

LayOut is more of a companion program to SketchUp that allows you to present views of a 3D model in 2D paper space. Although it has an assortment of vector drawing tools, it’s not really a vector drawing program like Visio is.

As I am no electrical engineer, I ask a dumb question. Why is this the drawing convention? When wires cross without connecting nothing particular happens, but when an actual connection is needed, they put in a connector box or some other type of connecting element, so a layman might expect something like the below to be put in:

The line “jump” is another common convention for wiring schematics. If the jump is used, the dot at the crossing is omitted and your example on the left would indicate a join.

I understood. I was just asking the dumb “why” question. Our Finnish standards do not use that. The style must date from the age of uninsulated or almost uninsulated wires when it was really important that crossing wires don’t physically touch.

I don’t know why. It’s been around longer than I have.

Another way of achieving the same thing is simply to leave a break in one line where it crosses another.

1 Like

Not really helping my case. We do audio visual wiring diagrams. And in our case, we have lots of lines that might cross. I guess will have to keep using Visio for wiring diagrams.