LayOut's new Graphic Engine!

I am using Layout’s new Experimental Graphics Engine on my MacBook Pro and enjoying the increased speed and general performance it offers. I am unable to use it, however, on my 2012 Thunderbolt Display—no matter what cable assembly I use to connect the two, the screen fails with the new engine. The display does not fail when I turn off the new engine. I am considering the purchase of a new 27” monitor, but before I do so, I wonder if anyone here knows what the requirement/specs for a new monitor might need to be to adequately run the new Layout engine? I understand it is still in development, but would love to utilize it both on my display monitor as well as my laptop. Thanks.

1 Like

In what way does it fail?

The image shrinks and then the entire screen turns red. I thought perhaps the cable connection was faulty, but replacing it has not helped. Without the experimental graphic engine turned on, Layout works perfectly normally on the display monitor.

Thanks, I will try to get the same problem to happen.

1 Like

Hi Justinchapman, it looks like we may not be passing a refresh in this case as adjusting the screen size makes it go away.
I will add this as an issue to address moving forward.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Trent.

Hi hpr78, does resizing the window cause the red screen to go away?

Trent

Resizing does not make the red go away.
But here is what I have discovered just now: the problem is moving the file to the second monitor. Previously, I had my laptop set as the primary screen and Layout—with the new engine turned on—would work on the laptop, but not on the display monitor. However, now I have set the display monitor as my primary screen, rather than the laptop, and the same problem has occurred in reverse. Now the file when transferred to the laptop changes size and the rest of the screen goes red.
Seems like the Thunderbolt Display can indeed handle the new experimental graphics engine, but the setup can’t handle transferring files between the monitor and the laptop, in either direction,
At least I now know I can use Layout 2024 with the new engine on my large screen….
Hope that makes some sense to you.

Sorry to make this complicated, but you may be onto something. Resizing does seem to be what turns the screen red.

Great detective work hhpr78 and thanks for those details.
I will add this to the issue.

Trent

To clarify, I am using Layout on an external monitor in clamshell mode

Experimental Graphics Engine is not working for me… when I initiate it, my screen stutters for a moment, then goes largely black with my LO working screen reduced to about 1/3 the size of normal… then when I touch anything, like try to zoom in, everything goes fully black. When I turn it off, everything comes back to normal. On SU pro 2024, running on a MBP M1 chip, 32GB ram. Any thoughts here? I’d love to utilize the new engine!

This is a known issue that we’re looking to address - a temporary workaround for now is to resize your LayOut window a little bit. Once it’s been resized once then everything should show up correctly. Please give that a try.

Adam

Thanks Adam! That worked for me. Though honestly, now that I’ve got it up and running, I’m not sure that I’m seeing any notable improvements to performance compared to the baseline. Are there specific improvements that should be observable?

That’s a tricky question because it largely depends on the LayOut file, and the contents of each page. Are you still seeing very sluggish behavior, or was everything relatively okay with the old engine?

Adam

Hi. I am running 24.0.554 and the 3/4 black window bug is still present. Resizing the window corrects.

My problem with the EGE is that I can only have the image quality in the document settings on medium. If I put it on high, many images disappear. Switching back to medium everything comes back. Turning off the EGE I can have the image resolution on high and the images render perfectly. It there a setting I am missing?

I am on a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with a Mac Studio display and two Dell 27" displays.

It’s an experimental graphics engine…

Thanks for the feedback SandLD, we will investigate what might be going on here as it sounds like it might be related to the M1.

@SandLD would you be able to share the file you are seeing this with?

Trent

Just to circle back here: @SandLD has tried a number of suggestions, but as best we can tell (and we can’t verify because we don’t have an Mac Studio with M1 Ultra graphics), there’s some issue with graphics exports. We’re trying to confirm why M1 Ultra graphics are different, and I’ll report back when we arrive at a solution or a really good workaround.

Barry