LayOut won't open multiple files when I double click on the file name

@DanRathbun Ok. I have to hit YES in the screenshot above, then continue with the Install Wizard and then the repair option comes up. So I did everything and restarted. LO will still only open one file by double clicking. Hmmm…

I can’t get Sketchup send to layout command to work either when layout is already open.

Detailed instructions on repairing SketchUp with screenshots (click to expand) ...

You are clicking the SktechUp.exe APPLICATION executble file NOT the installer exe as instructed.
So SketchUp starting would be expected from your actions. But this is not what I instructed to do.

Correct right-clicking the "SketchUpPro-2019-0-685-20289-en.exe" will cause the Windows User Access Control verify messagebox to ask you if you will allow the installer to make changes. …

You would choose “Yes”, … and then the installer should start and extract itself into a temporary folder, and then display an information dialog (below) to ask you if you wish to “Next” (Continue) or “Cancel” the install.

You’d click the Next button … and then you get the Repair or Remove dialog …

… you choose the “Repair” and you’ll see a confirmation dialog …

… and a progress dialog appears …

… when finished, the completion dialog is displayed …

… you click the Finish button.

What doesn’t work for LayOut?

Ok. That’s what I did, I also had another window come up saying something about rebooting later or try to restart whatever it was going to try and restart. So I chose the automatic restart option, continued and then restarted my machine. Oh well.

I have tried the right click to open. If LayOut is open already it won’t open the file.
Right click does not work for LayOut.

Did you do what Dan suggested and repair the installation?

I have not my install exe is no longer in my downloads.

Download it again. You should keep a copy of the installation file.

There were some changes with respect to SketchUp and LayOut saving files.

Perhaps Adam can weigh in … @adam ?

Okay, at this time Velina can I get you to reassign this topic to the Technical Problems > LayOut category. (Go to the top of the topic and click the pencil icon to the right of the topic title. Then use the category dropdown control to change this topic’s category. There is a filter box that helps reduce the category listing in the drop down.)

Sure. Thanks for your time on this one too though. - Best, Velina

Ok just tried the repair per Dan and nothing has changed. We run a couple of copies of sketchup and layout in our office and both of the other drafters have the same issue.

Hi All, I’ve been able to replicate similar if not identical behaviour. Double left clicking on a LO file from File Explorer will launch LO and the project will open as expected. However, if I attempt to open a second LO file using the same method (without having closed LO) nothing will load/change (same behavior when right clicking on the LO file and selecting Open with LO19). Similarly, “Send to Layout” from SU when LO is already open, does nothing. I help out quite a few SketchUp users in Australia and I’m starting to hear this issue more and more. Has anyone already found a fix? If not, I’ll reach out to whomever I can and keep this topic updated with findings. (SU19 Win10)

1 Like

I have tried the suggested repair protocol and it did not change anything. I am also waiting for a fix for this.

1 Like

I’m going to keep following this thread as well. Hopefully, it’s something silly simple that I am just missing, as not everyone in my office is experiencing this issue. (I’m going to double check on that, as some use MAC laptops).

When I first started using SU Layout would open a second file sent from SU and I could double click on a Layout file and have it open as a second tab in Layout. At some point that behavior stopped.
The fix I have found was to go to the program Files folder>Sketchup>layout>Layout.exe. Right click on the file choose properties then the compatibility tab and tick “Run this program as Administrator”. Apply, Select OK .

3 Likes

Did you install SketchUp/LayOut using Run as administrator from the context menu? You shouldn’t need to make the change you describe.

Yes I did!

Strange.

I think this might be a Windows thing.