Layout Scene Update Issue

Layout 2020 has introduced new options to make adjustments to the way a SketchUp model is presented in a viewport from within Layout. If any of the properties is edited from within Layout, that setting made in Layout will override any changes made to the scene in SketchUp. This state of having been modified is indicated by the window turning dark grey. Each setting can independently be either dark grey indicating it is being overridden, or the original light grey indicating that it is still tied to the properties of the saved SketchUp Scene.

One needs to pay close attention to these colors now, If one aspect is dark grey, then no amount of updating and re-saving the scene will change that quality, it must be released from within Layout by pressing the reset button in the upper right of that window, or the reset all button in the top right of the SketchUp Model window.

This new ability can be confusing as you can now have a viewport which appears to mostly update with the scene, but not quite. For example the camera position and style may change as expected when the scene is updated, but the shadows refuse to turn off, even if they are off in the scene, because they are being overridden in Layout.

Here is the SketchUp Model window in Layout with nothing modified, some of the options modified and some left tied to the scene, and all the options modified. The grey is subtle, although I love this new feature, I wish this color change was user editable, I would prefer a brighter highlight when modified.

3 Likes