Layout lagging after Mojave update

Michael,

Are you saying the Logitech mouse did not solve the lag issue?

I assume not because I have several mice and all lag. It must be a software issue.

Hi @tvallee

That is correct. The new mouse made no difference to the Zooming speed in Layout.

I was crossing my fingers, and hoping, but alas, no.

Mike

Has anyone found a solution to this lagging?.. $700 for a broken software is just not what I wanted to buyā€¦ How do I get a refund?

I have noticed the new update helps.

But, I am updating my old MacPro with 96 gigs of memory, double 3.4 mhz 6 core CPUs, and a Geforce GTX 1080 TI with 11 gigs. Cheap solution versus a new windows comparable machine and still Mac OS.

I will let you know shortly.

Fingers crossed for you @tvallee

I did notice an improvement when I upgraded mine from 8GB to 40GB. Still painfully bad though.

Itā€™s so annoying, as literally EVERYTHING else works ok. Itā€™s just the zoom in Layout. Been using Indigo Render and that flies on my machine.

I have everything crossed hoping Pro 2019 sorts it out.

Mike

I may have a solutiontion. I took my MacPro into Apple for service. Apple plugged in through the HDMI port and the lag was not present. There was slight shuttering.

I used thunderbolt 2 with a cable conversion to thunderbolt 3 to my LG 5 k monitor.

Try HDMI or other output if possible.

Ah, unfortunately that wonā€™t solve my problem, being on an iMac.

Mike

New data on the Layout lag mystery.

My original system; Mac Pro w/ 3.5HGZ 6 CORE, AMD Firepro D700 w/ 6 gigs into the LG 5K monitor. Lots of lag.

I just purchased the LG 32UD59, a 32" 4K including a HDMI connection. I connected both monitors at once and the lag went away on the 5K (connected through thunderbolt 2 with a thunderbolt 3 conversion cord) and was not present on the new 4K (connected through the ZHDMI port).

Unplug the 4K and the lag returns to the 5K. Plug the 4K back in and the lag goes away.

Riddle me that Batman.

Yep, sorry, Iā€™m not Batman and have no idea on that one. All sounds rather strange to me.

I still have all my eggs in the ā€˜Sketchup Pro 2019 will solve thisā€™ basket.

Mike

Since this seems like a very specific case, you might want to make an omelet instead :wink:

2 Likes

Mike, I have exact issue with Layout lag. My iMac is iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) and Layout moves pathetically SLOW when zooming in and out. Did you find an answer???

Hi @pamrichau

Nothing as yet, but I do believe that the Sketchup Team are aware of this.

I find it very frustrating and hope it gets sorted soon.

Mike

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m seeing some issues that I have tested back to SketchUp 2016, and in Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave, and all versions and OSes show the same problem. I wonder if some other variable came in since Mojave was released.

One thing that most of the problem files have in common is that they use a lot of attributes, inserted by extensions. Still not positive if thatā€™s important or not.

For the cases where you notice LayOut being slow, is the same model slow when just in SketchUp?

I am just now seeing this thread for the first time, but I can also confirm the lag in LO only. Zooming and panning are fine in SU, but very laggy in LO. Panning or moving anything in LO exhibits the same lag.

I am running SU 2019 on Mojave 10.14.5. My machine is a late 2016 MBP 2.9 i7 with 16GB Ram and a Radeon Pro 460 4GB.

Iā€™ve been experiencing this problem since MacOS Sierra, and on 3 different computers.

1 Like

Hi @colin

Just to confirm that the model in Sketchup Pro 2019 is fine, and Sketchup flies.

Itā€™s purely a problem with Layout. It doesnā€™t matter what the Sketchup Model is. Even a simple model inserted into Layout and its a nightmare. Pro 2019 on my slower MacBook Pro running High Sierra is a load better. Not perfect, but a load better.

Would be good to get this sorted soon, as itā€™s been going on for some time now.

Mike

2 Likes

I have been running into similar issues while creating CDs for new complex modern home. I am running on a 2013 Macbook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB). I was planning on a new computer soon, but it seems users with brand new macs have similar issues. I have not had an issue in the past until now, although this is the largest model and largest layout file I have had to date. I broke up the layout file into multiple sections which seemed to help for some sections but not all.

I would love some guidance on a better way to manage layout and/or is it worth spending $4k on an iMac over $3k, i.e. upgrading everything?

Hi

Just wondering if there is any update and solution to this Zoom speed issue in Layout, under OS Mojave?

Iā€™ve seen the attached on Appleā€™s website. Would this beast of a new machine help?:grinning:

Iā€™m experiencing the same problem, and I just updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Running on a new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

Any solution on the problem yet?