Layout deletes model references

Hello everyone.

I model with SketchUp and as such, it makes more sense for me to use layout to prepare the technical documents for my designs. But there’s an issue I’ve been having with SketchUp LayOut for the 6+ years that I’ve been using and I can’t seem to fix it. But today, it has cost me so much time I don’t know what to do next.

Usually, I simply copy the components of the model that I need to present and paste it on LayOut before proceeding with whatever works I need to do and as such, the reference model would be in the %TEMP% folder. Now, LayOut would sometimes and for reasons I do not understand, stop displaying the models I pasted and I’ll have the yellow caution triangle.

Worst off, it also stops reflecting the model’s reference link when I check the References list on the Document Setup panel.

I desperately need help as it is about to cost me drawings I have been working on for two months now.

Thanks.

[quote=“djmeek004, post:1, topic:167368”]
Usually, I simply copy the components of the model that I need to present and paste it on LayOut before proceeding with whatever works I need to do and as such, the reference model would be in the %TEMP% folder.[/quote]

This is not a good work flow. You are referencing temporary files which your operating system WILL delete. Best work flow would be to not copy from SketchUp or other applications and paste into LayOut. Save your reference files in a non-volatile directory (I set up folders for projects so all the references go into a dedicated folder) and then insert the files. You should also not insert a SketchUp model file into a LayOut file more than once. That will result in multiple references and a bloated LO file.

If you really insist on copying and pasting into LayOut, unlink the references before the operating system deletes them. Once the reference no longer exist, you’re kind of out of luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.